Engine Bay Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuattroRS6

Car
GLS350d V6 AMG Line G-Tronic
Hey Guys

Just checking on the best way to get a deep clean of the engine bay and I mean a real deep clean!
Jet wash, steam or a lot of time and manual graft?
I'd prefer to get someone to do it for me, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on the Beds/Northants area.

Thanks

I tend to just open the bonnet and snow foam the engine bay after I've done the body.

That probably doesn't achieve the really deep clean you're after, but it's quick, easy, and definitely leaves it cleaner than doing nothing.

When I bought the car it had suffered a serious oil leak in a previous life.. so I decided to try and improve the engine bay/block a bit.

• I covered the sensitive parts and sprayed down the engine with a gunk degreaser using a spray like the one shown.
  • I let that settle for a bit then used the sprayer to rinse it off with water.
  • I think I did just one pass and it was a good result, another few passes might have improved it.
It was a quick job and I was happy with the results.

What kind of deep clean are you looking for?

Damn.... photos too big at around 5 MB. That is super annoying. I wonder could the mods implement some on the fly compression / re-encoding?

OK, that’s how to do it, but WHERE is it done? I’m thinking of all the greasy/oily crud that’s going to land on the deck. It’s bad enough swilling away the remains of fallout remover after just doing the wheels. I have a rather nice (well, I think so) block paving drive, or the street as options

Staining the former wouldn’t go down very well with Mrs B, and even if the hose would reach the street, it’s a bit anti-social.

I admit I have only done ‘top show’ engine bay cleaning, so I haven’t used any modern products on it, but I remember with horror what my parents’ drive looked like after using the original Gunk on my Morris Minor Traveller’s engine many years ago!

OK, that’s how to do it, but WHERE is it done? I’m thinking of all the greasy/oily crud that’s going to land on the deck. It’s bad enough swilling away the remains of fallout remover after just doing the wheels. I have a rather nice (well, I think so) block paving drive, or the street as options

Staining the former wouldn’t go down very well with Mrs B, and even if the hose would reach the street, it’s a bit anti-social.

I admit I have only done ‘top show’ engine bay cleaning, so I haven’t used any modern products on it, but I remember with horror what my parents’ drive looked like after using the original Gunk on my Morris Minor Traveller’s engine many years ago!
Use your neighbours driveway when they are out ;)

I did mine in the local car wash where they have an oil separator... At least they should.

I just did it a bit to the side of where they wash the cars. Asked politely and gave a few quid extra when leaving.

I did mine in the local car wash where they have an oil separator... At least they should.

I just did it a bit to the side of where they wash the cars. Asked politely and gave a few quid extra when leaving.
I see you couldn’t get exactly the same username here either buddy :(

Tape up obvious electrical thingys , spray with degreasant and let it soak in , agitate with a detail brush to loosen dirt and oil . Maybe do this stage again if it’s bad
Use a fine hosepipe spray from a distance to go over it .

I Couldn't.. I decided to settle with a slight instruction on how to spell my name correctly :cool:

Tape up obvious electrical thingys , spray with degreasant and let it soak in , agitate with a detail brush to loosen dirt and oil . Maybe do this stage again if it’s bad
Use a fine hosepipe spray from a distance to go over it .

Yes... this basically.

I tried to scrub with my detailing brush but felt it wasn't doing much and I hadn't much access so I decided to just let the liquids do their job.

I used to know a guy with a steam cleaner who did my engine bays for me. Gunk or similar on, and steam it off.
Fastest way to get a really deep clean that gets into all the nooks and crannies. Just need to exercise a bit of restraint around those hugely expensive electronic control units ;-)

That would be a very non trivial thing to implement - I doubt it is an available option within the parameters of the Xenforo forum software....

I find this is very quick and simple to use when I need to resize or compress images:

Fair enough.. but it's available on other installs of Xenforo around the web, i'd say it's an option/plugin. Anyway, no sweat.

I do resize using web too, but it's just a bit annoying when you get used to many other forums doing it for you. It's only a minor complaint however.

Under closer inspection, the engine bay isn't horrendous, just a build-up over time which should shake off pretty easily.
I have some TFR and a Pressure Sprayer arriving soon so it will be tackled.
I'll give it one pass with the engine cover in situ so all solutions are contained within the engine bay and my drive beneath. Then I'll remove the cover and give it a 2nd pass.
Which areas should I protect with cling film?

Good job.

I covered the MAF inlet with a plastic bag and zip ties. I also wrapped a bag over the ECU in the centre and then covered the ABS/ESP unit with a bag as there was some exposure there.

Be very careful with the pressure washer. Hold it far back and let the flow of water do the job not the pressure, imho.

Good job.

I covered the MAF inlet with a plastic bag and zip ties. I also wrapped a bag over the ECU in the centre and then covered the ABS/ESP unit with a bag as there was some exposure there.

Be very careful with the pressure washer. Hold it far back and let the flow of water do the job not the pressure, imho.

Got it! Thanks.

I just had another idea.... if you felt you wanted to get in a little deeper you could try a lance as used with weed sprayers..

Like this one.. although if going down that route you might as well get an angled tip.

1601508815925.png

Already on it!
This arrived yesterday. TFR due today.

C1BB9C7A-8BA8-4AE3-8EC1-5029BB5C715C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom