Engine casing bolt rounded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
One of the torx bolts is completely rounded on my engine cover/case. Whats the easiest way to get the at least the head of the bolt of so the case can be removed?

I've tried getting mole grips around it but the bolt is indented making it impossible for the mole grips to grip the bolt.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 48
Internal or external Torx?

You could try
Hammering a socket over it or hex socket key into it, or dremeling a slot and using a screwdriver.

Internal or external Torx?

You could try
Hammering a socket over it or hex socket key into it, or dremeling a slot and using a screwdriver.

Its an internal torx which is now more or less round. Would the hammering not cause other damage to the engine.

Someone suggested drilling the bolt out, would I use a drill bit the size of the whole head or the size of the torx?

It wants to be the same size of the core diameter of the thread. Centre drill then drill the middle. This will take the head off and then hopefully enough exposed thread after cover is removed to get a hold off. You could try hammering a spline bit or Allen bit in to undo it.

It wants to be the same size of the core diameter of the thread. Centre drill then drill the middle. This will take the head off and then hopefully enough exposed thread after cover is removed to get a hold off. You could try hammering a spline bit or Allen bit in to undo it.

Thank you will give this a go buddy :) hopefully it does the trick

You could try drilling down into the bolt and then use an easy out left hand thread extractor to remove it.

Drilling into the bolt worked a treat. Once the case was off used streethawks advice and got the remains out using some mole grips.

Drilling into the bolt worked a treat. Once the case was off used streethawks advice and got the remains out using some mole grips.

When anyone at work snaps a bolt or breaks a tool in a hole they always come to me to remove them! As iam a manual miller Turner in a tool room. Glad you sorted it. Put copper grease on all the bolts when fitting as this will help remove them at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom