engine chain replacement on w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjacques1

Car
2006 C180 Kompressor Sport
Hi all.could the experts please advise on this matter.my understanding was that the w203 does not have a timing belt but timing chain instead.does the engine/timing chain have to be replaced at some point ?thanks in advance.

Hi all.could the experts please advise on this matter.my understanding was that the w203 does not have a timing belt but timing chain instead.does the engine/timing chain have to be replaced at some point ?thanks in advance.

Not if oil has been changed regularly and there are no problems with it and no rattles.

M271 chain is prone to fail... OM642 stretch too...

Edit: M271 is recommended to change right after some noise, but I would get it changed around 60000km interval just to get good sleep at night...

Anyone know if the weak chain and guides issues was rectified on later m271 CGI engines like the last ones to come off the line?

Anyone know if the weak chain and guides issues was rectified on later m271 CGI engines like the last ones to come off the line?

The cgi engines have a bush type chain but some have been known to suffer with premature cam adjuster failure !
Chain wise they are good though.

Chain and tensioner at 60k unless you know the service history inside out. If you do and no start up noises then you'll probably be fine.
Ironically some of the early 204's we see make total mincemeat of the gears worse than the earlier cars.

How long is a 2011 c180 CGI good for chain wise? Sounds smooth as a whistle at the moment no sign of clattering at 55k. Incidentally I had a 190E back in the day. It had its first chain inspection at 150,000 miles and needed no adjustment. Next chain inspection was 250,000.

What's that saying... They don't make them like...

That's right
They don't make them like that anymore for sure...
There is no recommended inspection as far as I'm aware.
Cam adjuster failures are not commonplace, but present themselves as a rattling on start up

Thanks for all your replies.what should I expect to be charged to get the chain replaced ?

Chain and tensioner at 60k .....

Blimey. That's similar to the interval on a cheapo cam belt. Can this be?

On an M104 engine too?

I'm at 1/4 million miles with original chain and tensioner. Should I be concerned about 1 second clatter at start-up?

No, I'll keep changing the oil and filter and hoping for the best.

RayH

Blimey. That's similar to the interval on a cheapo cam belt. Can this be?

On an M104 engine too?

I'm at 1/4 million miles with original chain and tensioner. Should I be concerned about 1 second clatter at start-up?

No, I'll keep changing the oil and filter and hoping for the best.

RayH

The M104 engine has a double link chain, as do most Mercedes, but the M271 is a single link chain, hence the problems.
No need for concern... carry on and keep up with those oil changes. :thumb:

Thanks grumpyoldgit.I have since spoken to the Mercedes main steelers and the service dept also said that it is not a service part that they would replace as a norm and only needs replacing if it is relating to problems or noise/rattle from the chain.I do a oil change at least every 6 months anyway so will just keep doing it in the future.regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom