Engine Change whats the pitfalls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianstaley

Banned
Hi all, i was on the dreded E bay, (compulsion) today and found a great deal on a V^ motor 90 grand miles. Came out of a auto. now I have allways ben a bit of a car freek and was just wondering what the pitfalls are in swapping out my 1.8 for the V6, new ECU clearley but what about the box, mines a 5 speed auto, and what about the rear dif etc. Any one ever done this ? or similar.

Hi all, i was on the dreded E bay, (compulsion) today and found a great deal on a V^ motor 90 grand miles. Came out of a auto. now I have allways ben a bit of a car freek and was just wondering what the pitfalls are in swapping out my 1.8 for the V6, new ECU clearley but what about the box, mines a 5 speed auto, and what about the rear dif etc. Any one ever done this ? or similar.

Sorry but can't see this as a realistic option because all sorts of other things are likely to be needed like springs (heavier engine), ancillaries like alternator, servo etc, brakes would all need modification, I think. Better to sell yours and buy a genuine v6

Just noticed op seems to have an estate. I don't think they actually did any W202 C240 or C280 estates did they ?

Talk about quick ?

Hi all talk about a quickturn around, as i said it was just athought, Im 59 now and getting a bit long in the tooth for greasy hands and showering more than twice a day :D but i have allways been a bit of a speed freak (own a 1987 Toyota Supra Mk3 too) i just love the idea of a wolf in sheeps clothing. I realise that there would be consequences, brake upgrade, suspension, can you imagin the faces on fruits that get left at the lights. even better if it were turbo or supercharged :eek:, i bet it would rattle along a bit. Ah well back to the drawing board... and dream on. Love ya all. (not literaly)
Ian

You could get a C280 and debadge it or even badge it C180. My first C280 was without badges when I first had it and that gave one or two people a surprise from the lights, not that I drive like that habitually !

Whats the point when ya got a tortois the only way to make it faster is to pick it up and chuck it. lol

If you're going to that trouble , don't do half measures - put in a V8 - plenty of 5 litre lumps around :devil:

Or go down the turbo route, use the exhaust manifold from a 220 cdi as a start point, you may need to fabricate a gasket for it.

Alas some may say its not worth it for a c180, but if you want to do a transplant, plan it, cost it and do it :devil:

just done an engine change myself! I was told it would come straight out and the new one straight in!! ------ DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE VERY VERY GOOD WITH CARS!!!!

Transplant

In my ill gotten youth, I have been there done that got the T shirt, just that these days at 59 my arms don't do what I want them too. Stuffed.
I have fitted (squeezed) a Rover 3.5 V8 into a Volvo 145 Estate, Helped a mate shoehorn a small block chevey V8 into an old Ford Aglia slanted rear screen. took a 1500 Ford and bored and stroked it. Turbo'd a BMW 730i and turned it into a 745 variant, didnt half give the 635 a schock when i left him standing at about 140 MPH on a autobhaan. Bet he took his 635 back and asked for his money back. Built my own Triton when I was knee high to a grasshoper. Turbo'd a Kawasaki Z900, that was fun, made a 1100 cc race tuned Hilman Imp (my first car). had a Ferrari 246 Dino (Big mistake that one) A Jensen Interceptor FF, Jensen Healy an ISO Revolta, aptley named it was revolting. and as I have mellowed over the years (grown up) my last two new purchases was in 1987 a Toyota Supra Mk 3 which I still have 22000 Kilometers and my Mercedes T204 Estate, which I want to turn into a wolf BIG GRIN. :devil: just for the hell of it, but if it is going to be too much trouble from the electronics point of view, ECU's etc, then whats the point. :( Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom