Engine Chipping for Economy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saorbust

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI
Hi,

Thinking of having my car chipped for economy - as the primary factor, not performance.

Would any one know of a good place to look for this / recommend anyone ?

Thanks,
J.

What car and engine? CLS500?

I wouldn't bother, almost no gains over the standard map, without cutting the power.

What car and engine? CLS500?

I wouldn't bother, almost no gains over the standard map, without cutting the power.

As above - most performance / economy chips are for turbo cars (petrol & diesel.)

Hi. Without wanting to steal your thread, you may not be aware that some forum members had a mass remapping by the guys from Angel tuning a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone asked for feedback from them? The results may be more effectively read in an anonymous poll but I have no idea of how to conduct one on a forum.

a) What are the actual benefits vs Expected/ Quoted? (Before vs After)
b) Any other differences to note which were not expected?
c) If you didn't know what you now know, would you do it again? (Was it worth it?)

I got my clk 230 k upto around 37mpg while on a long, constant run. I have no idea if the onboard computer is accurate or not but that's what it told me.

If the feedback is positively in favour of remapping, I'd be happy to book my car in to have this done.

Hope this helps.

After the Angel tuning remap I got my E55 upto 32/33 mpg on the motorway - cruising between 65-75 mph.

I worked my savings out from the Viezu site for 'economy' tuning;
"Your cost of your remap will be paid back in 73300 miles". Excellent.

No prices on that site, been wondering about performance tuning as I'm sure it's easy to coax a bucket load more out of the 5.5 V8 (which will be inevitably tuned for those damned emissions) but it probably involves more part replacement than software tuning.

Actually the question comes from a bunch of angles.

For the record I have the 5.5l v8 - about 388 bhp.

Absolutely great car - love it. However due to promotion I'm now doing approximately 600 miles per week.

So the fiscals are as follows:

I can do 425 miles on a (80 litre) tank of Unleaded. Not bad for a massive engine, but then it's happy to pull along in almost any gear !

I used to have an E320CDI which with the same size tank I could get to 650 miles.

So the argument is can I by re-chipping it get the range upto say 500 miles, and perhaps save some money. But to other people's point - what about the cost of the remap versus the money saved.

Finally I've also been looking at selling it and getting a diesel - rather like the E350CDI Coupe or the Cabriolet. But that's a big way to save fuel costs.

Having looked at it - I think the cost to change (I'm not considering LPG because of the potential impact on the value of the car) actually outweighs the benefit - and I'm better sticking with the car I know and love.

Thoughts of course welcome !

My 70 litre tank gives me somewhere between 240 to 320 miles.
Performance could be better, actually I'm gonna post a separate thread about the performance after servicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom