Engine choice 220CDi or 250CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had both 220 and 250 and can confirm that the 250 is streets ahead on performance. A lot of mid range shove and to me seems more refined although that might be subjective.

Nothing basically wrong with the 220, just not as fun to drive due to the slightly more lethargic performance.

Does anyone know if remapping would cause any issues on a pcp agreement?
Depends if you get caught doing it!

From some research it appears this is the common TOC for PCP and leases:

"As long as the car is as you bought it at the end of the term, within the mileage, and with fair wear and tear.... "

Remap and restore it at the end? Or call the finance company and ask them.

Is remapping and restoring as expensive as it sounds? Does anyone on this thread have an idea as to how much I'd be looking at to remap an e250 coupe?

Really... I see a 220 goes from 167bhp to 212bhp, but a 250 will go from 201bhp to 255bhp... I think there are more differences. A 200 will go from 134bhp to 212bhp though..... suggesting that is the same engine spec. as a 220 but low state of tune.

Yes really. I had this confirmed by two companies that remap and are members on this forum. Like all things there are nuances...
Tuning box
This will alter current fuel settings, and if capable, current boost settings. So putting a tuning box on a 220 will not produce the same results as a 250. In fact some 250 owners have experienced issues with tuning boxes that increase boost too, as it increases it to a point above the MB thresholds and trips limp mode. So 250 owners have had to wind back boost or take off the tuning box, whereas the box will work fine on a 220 that has a lower level of boost in factory tune.

Standard remap file
It's likely that putting a standard remap file will produce different results as they have used MB factory tune as a reference point. So the file for a 220 will be different than the file for a 250.

Custom remap with rolling road.
This type of remap will tune the car to your requirements. This type of remap will achieve the same output results on a 220 or 250.

Hope this helps to explain it.

cheers, Steve

D
"As long as the car is as you bought it at the end of the term, within the mileage, and with fair wear and tear.... "

My understanding that the wording can vary - some may state explicitly that no modifications are allowed.

Best to check with the finance company if in doubt.

So Steve, are you confirming that the 220 has the 250's 2 stage turbo now?

Thanks,
Robert :)

Sorry just noticed this Q. Yes the 220 has the twin turbo and is physically exactly the same engine as the 250.

cheers, Steve

I owned an 09. C250 sport 6speed auto twin Turbo, then a 12. SLK 250 CDI sport, I now own a 14. E220 AMG sport coupe with the 7 speed auto box, and two stage Turbo, and I can tell you it goes like **** off a shovel, so much so that I sometimes can't believe its a 220,the MB man told me that in the two years since my SLK, Mercedes had re tuned the 7 speed g/tronic box, I was a bit sceptical at first but believe it now. I will say though that I did get better MPG from both the 250 's so I suppose everything has a price. I've only done about 6000 mls so maybe things will improve as it all beds in.:thumb:

I have not driven a c250 but ll I can say is my C220 goes very well and my one has no DPF which by all accounts is a big plus , no complaints this end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom