Engine clean - should I or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ollie80

Car
Mercedes W202 Series
Hi All, :)

I would like to get my w202 engine looking a little more presentable. It could do with a really good clean. How should I go about this? Steam clean / Jet wash clean? I dont want to blast it and then mess up the electrics. :doh:

Maybe some of you have used a pro to do it? Or are any of you against doing this..

Ollie

Use the search facility, there is a recent thread on here about just that.

thanks v much for those links. :thumb: Yes, I think I might set a side a few hours and do it by hand.. This way you get to indentify parts of the engine / electronics too.

Ta! Ollie

Why? You never see the thing, more chance of spraying stuff in the wrong place. If it aint broke, dnt fix it.

Why? You never see the thing, more chance of spraying stuff in the wrong place. If it aint broke, dnt fix it.

Err... because it's there? :confused:

Go for it ollie80!

:D

i use auto glym tyre dressing and a cloth for the plastic and wd40 and e toothbrush for the metal , takes a while but looks good:thumb:

Actually a clean engine is a very good thing to have. You can identify leaks and other external warning signs of things going wrong much more easily. It also stops you getting sh!t up when your checking your fluids and other mundane under-bonnet activities. :)

thing is it does look pretty dirty, even saw a decaying wasp right deep inside :eek: I know you dont see it but a mechanic does when it goes in for a service, I know he may not care if it dirty but it will show I care for the motor ;)

Correct, cant fault you mate, get it cleaned up as matty.13 said, WD40 & Toothbrush ;) takes a while but works a treat. As for the other things, any decent cleaning product should just do the job...All the best!

I agree with Tom71.

If there is nothing wrong, then leave it.:)

What are you trying to gain by cleaning the engine bay?

I agree with Tom71.

If there is nothing wrong, then leave it.:)

What are you trying to gain by cleaning the engine bay?

Hi Kiki, :)

You have not seen it ;) I dont think its been cleaned in its whole life! :eek:

I was with a mechanic the other day, he was sorting my airbag warning light. It just looked a little bit too dirty.

I will take all of your advise on board, take my time and not rush it. I know im not going to get it immaculate but will feel better.

Cheers all! :D

my two penneth.....

A clean engine/engine bay shows:
1) engine/car has been well maintained and looked after
2) no oil or other fluid leaks
3) you take care of the bits that people don't see, so the rest should be ok.

All of the above will pay dividends should you sell the car, as the potential purchaser should notice and appreciate this, and if not tell them so!

A filthy engine bay shows that the owner doesn't really care about the car, and the likelyhoood is that there will be more underlying problems with it.

My engine is not that clean, but I will work my way to it once the more pressing issues are taken care of.

I say go for it, clean it to the best of your ability, and take pride in it.
Good luck

my two penneth.....

All of the above will pay dividends should you sell the car, as the potential purchaser should notice and appreciate this, and if not tell them so!

A filthy engine bay shows that the owner doesn't really care about the car, and the likelyhoood is that there will be more underlying problems with it.

My engine is not that clean, but I will work my way to it once the more pressing issues are taken care of.

I say go for it, clean it to the best of your ability, and take pride in it.
Good luck

Thanks matey! And thanks for the pointers, you absolutly right, when it comes to sell the car it will go a long way seeing a clean engine bay. :thumb:

Good with your car too.. :)

I would have to disagree with the above in terms of points 1) and 3)

I have, do and will continue to spend whatever it takes to keep my cars in top condition. That the servicing and maintenance alone adds up to a huge % of the value of the car is offset by the fact that they will run and run and what I drive tends not to be the cheapest car to maintain by a fair margin!

I have never cleaned an engine bay and never will. They are not supposed to have fluid or liquids sprayed on them and there too many electrics under the bonnet to risk something going amiss under there.

So don't automatically discount a car because of a dirty engine bay as being neglected or not looked after properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom