Engine clicking on startup.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
So I've had a clicking sound for a little while and the car is booked in with the doc.

However, just wondering if anyone can hazard a guess as to what it could be.

I thought was the SC pulley but I noticed it got louder this week and on closer listening, it is actually coming from the right of that.

I can't pinpoint it exactly but it is either on the right half of the V (uh oh) as you look at the engine or further forward of the oil filler cap.

It's kind of a clicking ratchety sound. Quieter when warm but not gone completely it sounds like.

Nothing appears to be catching anything although if it was, I am not sure if it would quieten down when warmer...

Its not a cracked exhaust manifold is it? I hear its common if engine mounts are not replaced, putting stress on the flange.

Cheers mate.

I'm quite pragmatic about it.

If it is serious, it is. If not, then not

Worse-case scenario, I divide the cost over nearly 4 years minus what I get back on selling it if it is not repairable.

If it is - marvellous!

I'm going to wait and see but just curious really.

:)

Its not a cracked exhaust manifold is it? I hear its common if engine mounts are not replaced, putting stress on the flange.

These were done by Mr Acid before the manifolds were put in and they were boogered as it happens so just as well.

However, would that get quieter when the engine gets warmer...?

:dk:

I'm wondering if it is the oil pump not up to it or timing chain now.

The sound is very quiet or gone when warm which of course is when oil is most liquid.

Similarly with timing chain - my old Saab one used to rattle badly on startup and then was a lot quieter once warm.

These were done by Mr Acid before the manifolds were put in and they were boogered as it happens so just as well.

However, would that get quieter when the engine gets warmer...?

:dk:

They normally do, as if they are cracked, the metal expands closing up the gap that the gases are escaping from.

Just as well they have replaced, another thing to remove from the list :)

Just a thought. MY C55 started doing this only when cold. It was a sticky tappet.

A good flush and oil change sorted that out.

Our man is well-versed in doing it then should it be that.

My gut feeling is it is something to do with that area because of where the sound is coming from.

Our man is well-versed in doing it then should it be that.

My gut feeling is it is something to do with that area because of where the sound is coming from.

On mine it sounded horrendous. Almost like a piston was about to let go. It was also not too easy to locate the exact place where the rattle was coming from due to the clatter and all the ancillary noises. Big screwdriver on the engine and stuck in the ear and you could narrow it down.

Good luck.

So in the garage first thing. Picked up a large metal file and started the engine and whilst connected to my ear - I touched the file on various parts of the right hand bank as you look but could I hear anything from that inline with the noise? Nope.

But, I discovered what it was in the process.

Banana to the first person to guess it (who doesn't already know!).

So in the garage first thing. Picked up a large metal file and started the engine and whilst connected to my ear - I touched the file on various parts of the right hand bank as you look but could I hear anything from that inline with the noise? Nope.

But, I discovered what it was in the process.

Banana to the first person to guess it (who doesn't already know!).

Fuel vapour purge valve :)

SC pulley bearing or straps!

SC pulley bearing or straps!

If by straps you mean belt (I've not heard it called a strap before!)... then you win the banana.

:bannana:

My replacement shorter belt had jumped over one V so hardly noticeable until closer inspection but definitely not in the right place. Got my spanner from my centre console and removed / re-fitted it and silent V8 in D minor commenced on starting.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom