Engine compatibility. 1981 Mercedes W123 .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samuelsmiles

Car
1981 Mercedes 200 Auto
Hello. The engine on my '81 W123 (2.0 petrol) has major damage so my mechanic suggested getting a complete replacement engine. I have just bought an engine from a '79 W123 but have just realised the engine is not identical. Mine was a M102 and I have just paid for a M115. Is this a relatively simple exchange for an experienced mechanic and is there anything else to replace? Thank you, Chris.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, in my haste to get a replacement engine I made this mistake - I have emailed the chap with the M115 to withdraw my offer. If anyone can link me to a good (preferably 2.0 petrol) engine, I would be most grateful.

Best, Chris.

ps. having been off the road for just a few days and rattling about in my other classic Minor Convertible, I have come to realise what a fantastic car the W123 is. Please, please, please help me get my beautiful car back on the road. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• merc 4.jpg
    merc 4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 58
You can easily fit a 2.3 M102 instead of the 2.0 if you wish.

There are also variations of the M102 from the 190e and W124 which fit straight in and have duplex timing chains so are much more reliable.

Your car looks great by the way!

You might end up having to re-use your old flywheel and starter anyway as they tend to vary according to the model year and transmission.

I rang MercedesMark this morning about the engine he had for sale I mentioned in my post above, but it was fuel injected so a bit of a conversion to undertake. But very luckily he did have a 2.0 litre engine (carburetted like mine) for a very reasonable price delivered to Hertfordshire by late this week.

Very happy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom