Engine Cover Peeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBZ4LIFE

Car
1999 C230 Kompressor Sport Manual
Hey U All
I am new to this forum, I need help. I just bought a 1999 C230 kompressor sport manual. When I popped the hood I found that my engine cover is starting to chip and peel. I was told that this is due to heat from the engine. If any one knows if this is true and if has happend to any one please let me know and how can I repair it so it doesn't happen again?
Thanks

Hello mate ,

There is a member on here called ' Pluggers ' , who took his off and had it sand blasted and then powder coated ...

Had it done the same colour as the car , looked good ...

Any powder coaters should be able to do it for you , you may be without the car for a day or two ...

Best wishes

H

Hello and welcome,, I see that you live in a warmer part of the world than us.

All you can do is to take it off and have it etched primed and then maybe powder coated to take the higher temps

Howard beat me to it,, I must wake up earlier

Hey guys
Thanks for the quick response. Is this a common problem though or do you think there is something more devious going on. I still have time to return the car. Don't want to however.

Hey guys
Thanks for the quick response. Is this a common problem though or do you think there is something more devious going on. I still have time to return the car. Don't want to however.

It's a minor issue that can be sorted.

I would have thought it's a pretty common problem ....

My car , my last car ( Honda ) both had peeling engine covers ...

The combination of oil and intense heat , just flakes the paint off ....

Wouldn't worry too much , if you make a fuss, they may get it done for you , but i bet it will just be a rub down and a blow over ....

Get it done yourself, that way you know you are getting a proper job !

H

I think its some sort of lacquer that gets put on to protect the engine cover.Eventually the heat sends it a funny colour and then it will peel off.Have seen some covers that look like they are about to break in half and after a good clean and paint look like new.

I actually have this exact issue with mine, and i was thinking of sanding it down and probably spraying it silver or something... but i heard that taking the engine cover off is a big job as u have to be so careful that u dont get anything into your engine while that cover is off... (i dont know much about it tho, i haven't properly lookd into it)

P.S. pluggers u got pictures of urs?

I agree that it's a simple/small job and if it's a nice car not a show stopper by any means. I wouldn't take the car back for that alone.

It's a job also on the cards for my CLK... 1999.

clk230k_engine_bay.jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact same car as you (but two years older) and mine's peeling too. Not the red part, but the creme/grey bit. I'm going to get it powder coated black soon, as i think it looks messy as it is and black wont look dirty so quickly!

If you get it done first post and let me know how it goes :)

Actually I had the cover off last year and it was the peeling inside that was of more concern to me. The outside is discoloured in places though. I would run with the same colours.

I have decided to have it done in the next week or so, I might even have it chromed, saw a chromed cover on a Honda and it look awsome. Will post pics as soon as it is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom