Engine cutting out on roads, loosing power! - URGENT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dawood83

Dear all

Hi I have a 2001 C180 Classic auto petrol.

Last night I was driving and after a few miles the engine management light came on, about 5 miles later the car started choking on the motorway,looosing power, cutting out, so i parked on a side street, called AA recovery, the guy put his laptop in and diagnosed the fault and said the O2 Sensors pre-cat and post-cat are gone and need to be replaced. He reset the engine management light, but this was still happening hence he said this was not simply a software issue.

Took it to my mechanic he said they will cost £130 EACH and no point in getting non-merc ones which are much cheaper, they wont work properly. Is that right - cause if htat is right im looking at a £300 bill.

a) Do you think the AA diagnosis was accurate and
b) can i not use non-merc lambda sensors - please help!!
c) Where can I get good cheaper lambda sensors

thanks

Dave

As your other post

I would have said GSR or Euro car parts, firms like Parts co and Parts service do keep a good range that the trade use.

Do remember that the O2 sensor measures the exhaust gas passing through, if it is too rich, it will try and reduce the fuel air ratio, the tester could have just picked up the fact that this sensor has changed from its stored setting

Hi

So what will be the best thing for me to do now? The garage closeby doesnt want to install non-merc sensors. Do I need another diagnosis!

go to another garage.there is an eu directive that enables parts that conform with manufacturers standards to be installed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom