Engine diagnostic software / hardware?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by JohnnyRob, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JohnnyRob

JohnnyRob Active Member

Car:
    1999 ML320
    Ok, I'm thinking it would be good to get some OBD2 / Carsoft / ELM327, etc software / hardware to read & reset any faults that may (well) develop on my ML.

Truth is I haven't got a clue what to go with and am having a terrible time figuring out what you can get & what I should get for the Merc.

I've got a pretty good laptop so initially was thinking about Carsoft, but then saw the standalone readers and then somesuch like the ELM327 that I don't think works with carsoft.

Am I right in thinking that Carsoft is best? What hardware is recommended with carsoft and what stand alone devices are recommended?

TIA
    JR

2. para alpha

para alpha Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    What year is the ML? Carsoft 7.6- v8.0 will only work with vehicles up to 2004. and the new stuff will work with almost anything! I assume you want to buy a Cloned Carsoft Multiplexer? If you do I can send you via PM what I bought and it works OK.... Now If you want to buy the proper Carsoft equipment, well a Mortgage will be needed!

Cloned Stuff will cost between £75-150
    or the Original equipment from Carsoft will cost about £3000?
    You pays your money, you takes the chance? But for about £800 you could get good equipment that will do almost the same as STAR...

3. OP
    OP
    JohnnyRob

JohnnyRob Active Member

Car:
    1999 ML320
    It's an old '99 model so I guess that will work. I *think* I've got Carsoft 7.4 somewhere, so assume that'll work...?

A PM would be much appreciated. Being the tight old git that I am I'm looking at spending as little as possible.

I've seen some stuff on ebay from the far east that ends up at about £40-60 shipped..

4. para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    The cheap stuff is not that good and sometimes it just won't talk to the PC, So What I have been told... I will send you details of where I got my Stuff from!

5. para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    Right, I can't seem to find the guy who I got my gear from! If you get anything Carsoft 7.4 compatible your on the right track! PM would be sent but you don't have that option on your username?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008