engine downsizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Down in London for a conference re smaller engines and just had a very interesting presentation on VCR. No, not old recording media but variable compression ratios. Presentation given by a Dutch gentleman and his company, Gomecsys.

Would have saved a load of trouble on my twin turbo project if we could have varied the compression during each stroke cycle.

I will post a link to the presentation once I have it.

Have also had an interesting presentation from Jag LandRover re their 2 litre replacement engine for their 5 lire V8 AJ133 lump.

One of the most exciting developments for me re engines (apart from the water fuelled Japanese engine) is the electric operation of the valves.

This will do away with lots of friction and complexity by eliminating the need for camshafts, timing chains/belts etc etc.

Did you hear any mention of this ?

Any talk of 2 stroke engines, as previously release by Lotus as the Omnivore?

Any talk of 2 stroke engines, as previously release by Lotus as the Omnivore?

What about emissions -the way the 2 stroke has been legislated out of existence the last 20 years I was of the impression it was solely responsible for Global warming etc

Greta simple design though

Didnt Saab play with variable compression many years ago with their SVC engines?

"apart from the water fuelled Japanese engine" I've got one of those..

well, the head gasket has gone

Mercedes engines 20 years ago were good for 200,000 miles if looked after and the odd head gasket.:eek: What's the projected life for these new highly stressed little engines- and I include all necessary ancilliaries such as turbochargers [ single and dual] , overrun clutched alternators, variable inlet swirl flaps, twin profile cams, direct injectors and dual mass flywheels with stop start systems-- or do they only have to last till the warranty runs out.:rolleyes:

I worry about this trend

In a few years time will the second hand market be flooded with downsized, very clever highly stressed and fragile hi tech engines?

The engine will likely still last 200k, its all those ancilliaries you mention that will fail early which will often be uneconomical to repair.

This seems to be the case on all post 2004 cars.

This will do away with lots of friction and complexity by eliminating the need for camshafts, timing chains/belts etc etc.

I already have an engine in one of my other cars without vales, cams, timing belt etc. Its a Rotary engine!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom