engine fault code readers / OBD / Star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedesc180a

Car
C180 (2006)
Hi all

I have a 2006 Mercedes C180 Kompressor 1.8L.

I was wondering if some of the engine fault code readers available for purchase (examples below) would work on the Mercedes to allow me to diagnose fault/read code when the amber engine warning light comes on. (and if so if there is one that they can recommend).

Someone told me mercedes has a "STAR" code system that the fairly cheap handheld devices on Amazon etc can't read. Someone else said it would be fine. I couldn't find an answer online, hope someone can help.

Examples:

U480 Obd-ii OBDII OBD2 EOBD Diagnostic Code Scanner CAN-Bus Trouble Code Read Diagnose Tester Diagnostic Scanner: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

A generic OBD reader will only read engine codes it probably will not be able to communicate with any of the other electrical modules.

I personally have STAR and AutoEnginuity that I use mainly for diagnostics

Last edited:
ICarsoft i980 should give you everything you need.
It will communicate with all controllers, pull off error codes, reset warning lights and graph live data.
It can also be used for generic engine codes on other manufacturers vehicles.

Not wishing to hijack this thread, will ICarsoft i980 connect to 15 pin connctor on older Mercedes?

i use a bluetooth thing from ebay and torque app on my android and finds codes all ok and can clear in the paid for app as well.
use din previous seat & mazda and friends vauxhall all ok as well

Scan tool

Hi,
I have an old E320cdi with a few "issues". I've bought a few scan tools, many leads and spent a lot of time researching which ones work. So for it appears none of them will work correctly with my E320cdi. They all claim to connect and register some codes but wont tell me what they are. A bit like the EPC warning on the instrument cluster!.
Does anyone here have experience of what may work, the complication being that my car has the old round plug and not the normal oblong obd2 type.
Ive seen some xentry kits advertised, they are super expensive but do show the correct lead. I would prefer a cheaper one but not too keen on adding another "doesnt work on this model" to my collection.
Any help appreciated

cheers

graham

Hi,
I have an old E320cdi with a few "issues". I've bought a few scan tools, many leads and spent a lot of time researching which ones work. So for it appears none of them will work correctly with my E320cdi. They all claim to connect and register some codes but wont tell me what they are. A bit like the EPC warning on the instrument cluster!.
Does anyone here have experience of what may work, the complication being that my car has the old round plug and not the normal oblong obd2 type.
Ive seen some xentry kits advertised, they are super expensive but do show the correct lead. I would prefer a cheaper one but not too keen on adding another "doesnt work on this model" to my collection.
Any help appreciated

cheers

graham

It needs to be plugged into a star. Give us an idea of your area and we can point you in the right direction. What issues anyway. ?

Thanks for the reply....Im in Devon (Holsworthy).......Not many garages in the area, even less people who i would trust my car with !
The car is great, its normally super-fast and economical too. There is an issue with kick down also intermittent poor performance. It also stopped yesterday, first time ever !. I would guess maybe low fuel pressure or alike. Before guessing and changing the pumps i would like my guess to be confirmed !. It appears to have enough computers onboard, one of then should know whats going wrong !.

i had a carsoft on a laptop that worked well with a 1999 e 210 and c 202 class merc. im guessing yours is a w210 not w211?

the carsoft is only 38pin. and laptop

Thanks for the reply....Im in Devon (Holsworthy).......Not many garages in the area, even less people who i would trust my car with !
The car is great, its normally super-fast and economical too. There is an issue with kick down also intermittent poor performance. It also stopped yesterday, first time ever !. I would guess maybe low fuel pressure or alike. Before guessing and changing the pumps i would like my guess to be confirmed !. It appears to have enough computers onboard, one of then should know whats going wrong !.

I know it's a journey for you bit more for me but olly at PCS in Portsmouth is the dogs dangles. Give him a ring Monday as he'll happily talk to you about it and maybe know someone closer. He advertise on this site.

Pumps are quite good, could be a number of things, O rings, plastic pipes etc. Fuel starvation due to leak or air ingress usually give an EPC fault in red on the dash, but not always.

The power loss could be the MAF, sticky/clogged EGR valve, pipe adrift, intercooler hole....list goes on.

Check BlackC55's sticky on power loss and what to look for, but ideally a trip to a garage with STAR (and someone who knows what to do with it) is essential before you start throwing parts at it.

OK, thanks for the info. Normally i would be happy to drive it anywhere but it only appears to have a 5 mile range at the moment. When the fire goes out its a big lump and takes quite a lot of shifting.

Thanks bob6600,
over the last year or so ive been investigating the poor performance. Its intermittent, sometimes its the fastest thing on the road, with the smooth gearchange its like a jet, seamless from zero to whatever you dare cloaked in a satisfying haze of black smoke. We have a second mode of operation that is still ok, just a bit sluggish in comparison but no smoke and the gearchanges are a little more snappy.
Ive had the egr off and cleaned it (it was a mess) had the intercooler and turbo piping off and also changed some injector seals. All the above needed doing but unfortunately never made a difference !

g

I know it's a journey for you bit more for me but olly at PCS in Portsmouth is the dogs dangles. Give him a ring Monday as he'll happily talk to you about it and maybe know someone closer. He advertise on this site.
Thanks for this info, nice to get the details of an expert

g

i had a carsoft on a laptop that worked well with a 1999 e 210 and c 202 class merc. im guessing yours is a w210 not w211?

the carsoft is only 38pin. and laptop

Yes its a W210. It has the round connector in the front right fusebox, i believe its the 38pin connector so maybe the carsoft will work. Most of the carsoft ones ive seen show the 16pin obd lead, again i have an adaptor 38pin to 16pin, if someone knows that its compatible ill buy it.

g

my carsoft had a large D connector (old skool printer type iirc) on the multiplexer box, and various ends , 38pin, 7?pin sprinter, 3 banana (r129?) etc

i paid 15 quid new from ebay

This post is the sticky I mentioned earlier and was made by Ollie from PCS that was mentioned in post #12.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/144927-lack-power-cdi-what-do.html

You seem to have covered the EGR and injectors, although the EGR ig not closing fully can cause your symptoms. The transducer could be faulty. Also check the turbo actuator is moving freely as well as the swirl flap motor, although the latter is normally quite solid on this model.

As said earlier speak to PCS as he has a lot more knowledge than I do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom