engine idle too fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mistermackay3

Car
Mercedes E Class 220D SE 2016
I have just taken delivery of a DEC 2016 Mercedes E220D SE. The idle speed is far too fast and the car creeps along the road with no throttle . How do I adjust the idle speed to a lower level?

I also have a warning that the engine oil level is too high, is this worth worrying about?

Thanks

I would get some oil out as soon as possible. Not sure if the two are related ( could be ) but am sure there is something causing the high tick over, not simply an adjustment like you could with a carburettor in the old days. Assume it is still under warranty , get it back to the garage who sold it to you!
Am sure you will get more specific advice from more expert forum members.

My guess based on the above info is that your car is failing to do the regen and dumping diesel in the sump. This will cause the high oil and as said it will need to be addressed ASAP. If left it can get past the seals and cause a runaway.

High idle speed could be caused by the regen currently running. In my 350 that I had for example the idle will jump from 600 to 800 when doing a regen.

As for the car creeping along the road in itself, that is just what automatics do.

If you mainly do short runs with the car not getting up to temp and not sitting at say 60/70 for a period of 20/30 mins at a time then diesel is not for you buddy.

My guess based on the above info is that your car is failing to do the regen and dumping diesel in the sump. This will cause the high oil and as said it will need to be addressed ASAP. If left it can get past the seals and cause a runaway.

High idle speed could be caused by the regen currently running. In my 350 that I had for example the idle will jump from 600 to 800 when doing a regen.

As for the car creeping along the road in itself, that is just what automatics do.

If you mainly do short runs with the car not getting up to temp and not sitting at say 60/70 for a period of 20/30 mins at a time then diesel is not for you buddy.
Thanks for the information.

I would get some oil out as soon as possible. Not sure if the two are related ( could be ) but am sure there is something causing the high tick over, not simply an adjustment like you could with a carburettor in the old days. Assume it is still under warranty , get it back to the garage who sold it to you!
Thanks for the info.

Press the brake pedal once to the floor at juctions etc and the word Hold should pop up on the dash. Meaning the brakes are on until you press the accelerator pedal.

Thanks. I have had the idle speed checked with Mercedes and they say it is normal albeit a bit faster than my previous cars.

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom