Engine Lifespan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scot22

Car
mercedes a class 2012
Apologies in advance for a how long is a piece of string ? post. Nor do I expect anyone to have a crystal ball ! I know there are variables.

Currently interested in a 2009 A W169 1700 petrol with 70,000 on clock for £5,000. Wondering how long I can expect from engine - I would like to keep it for a while.

It's nearly run in. I bought a CLK230 with the same mileage; nine years later I sold it having had just one problem - a broken light switch.

Much appreciate your prompt and reassuring reply. I assume they are the same or similar engines.

You are more likely to run into transmission problems --if indeed anything. Clutch/Gearbox /differential /drive shafts.

Engine is likely to be the strongest part as long as it's looked after. 70k is nothing these days for an engine.

I value the help given by people who share their knowledge and experience. Just need to check details of servicing history to make sure no lapses. Feel more confident now and, if not this car, then others. Love to learn things.

I bought a CLK with 97,000 miles. Now at 102,000 no isses at all with engine except a small leak from coolant tank sorted for 100£

If it has been serviced correctly and regularly and you continue to do so, it will last you a long time

I usually check what mileage do same cars go up to on Autotrader, it will give you general consensus of what they are capable of.

Modern engines looked after and serviced correctly should have a life of over 200,000 miles.

My current C Class is at 158,000, my RR is also high mileage and a previous Audi A6 2.4v6 had covered 224,000 miles before the car was written off.

All are or were performing smoothly and strongly.

Again, thanks for new posts all being helpful. Good idea Litcan I'll have a look.

I usually check what mileage do same cars go up to on Autotrader, it will give you general consensus of what they are capable of.

That's a good tip. I checked my car with the M271 1.6L engine and there are many with well over 100,000 miles which is encouraging. At bargain prices too for late cars with much higher than average miles which shows you shouldn't be afraid of high miles.

It would be interesting to get some views on the m272 - all the C350s I've seen on autotrader seem to have c60,000 miles, presumably because the owners have realised what's about to happen! But, once the balance shaft is fixed, are these also good for the longer term? (I'm currently at 76k, hoping for a lot more!)

W169 is fine for the miles. If it's a manual just make sure the clutch is fine, if it's an auto it'll be the CVT and it's fine if maintained. Plenty of horror stories just like any other car.

It would be interesting to get some views on the m272 - all the C350s I've seen on autotrader seem to have c60,000 miles, presumably because the owners have realised what's about to happen! But, once the balance shaft is fixed, are these also good for the longer term? (I'm currently at 76k, hoping for a lot more!)
Ditto. - Do they really all break? Mine is past 70k and I haven't noticed any problems... yet.

I accept that the balance shaft sprocket is the weak point, and that when the engine fails that will almost certainly be why... but you only hear from the people who've had problems. Surely there are a load of owners who haven't had any serious issue, and are potentially unaware that there's even a chance. :dk:

With a new balance shaft, you might expect the same amount of life again (possibly more if some other parts were refreshed at the same time).

My 2008 E320CDi has done 198,000 miles. It still purrs along and goes like a rocket. I had a recon turbo fitted about 10k ago. Only for preventative measures.
Best car I've ever owned. I'm going to keep it for a long time yet I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. - Do they really all break? Mine is past 70k and I haven't noticed any problems... yet.

I accept that the balance shaft sprocket is the weak point, and that when the engine fails that will almost certainly be why... but you only hear from the people who've had problems. Surely there are a load of owners who haven't had any serious issue, and are potentially unaware that there's even a chance. :dk:

With a new balance shaft, you might expect the same amount of life again (possibly more if some other parts were refreshed at the same time).

The answer to that one is not all M272 engines are the same. Throughout the production life of an engine there are many revisions/changes to the orginal components. Looking at the Mercedes EPC [ electronic parts catalogue] for engine parts its not uncommon to find half a dozen or more changes in part no as components are updated. These are normally accompanied by a range of engine numbers to which said components were incorporated. Early versions of the M272 had failures in the timing chain and associated components but these were later rectified by using better components which certainly alleviated the problem. All engines wear out eventually-question is- how long should we expect them to last? The M272 problems first came to light in the USA- possibly because there were just more of them reaching high mileage initially. MB appear to be more willing to issue recalls over there- possibly due to their more litigious climate? Over in Europe it tends only to be safety issues that trigger recalls. I get the impression other problems appear to be handled more on a "as and when " basis when they occur in individual cases. :dk:

ps engine life also depends on how the engine is treated. Failure to change the oil at regular intervals and "revving the nuts of her" is going to shorten engine life for sure. ;)

Best test. How many taxi firms and from how many countries are currently or have used the particular model.

If low to zero avoid.

See where I'm coming from?

Rule of thumb. If it's still used as a Taxi in Sub Saharan Africa you're onto a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom