Engine light/limp mode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Sue has just driven the CLK240 to our static and the engine light came on again - she said acceleration became pants. Guessing it has entered some form of limp mode? Pretty sure I know what it is as after the car became a bit "lumpy" recently, my indie recently plugged into STAR which suggested one of the coils was playing up. He cleared it for me (I was not in a position to do anything about it at the time) and it has been OK. My questions:

Is my assumption about limp mode probably correct?
Can I reset in in the car without STAR so she can get home OK?
If not would she be OK driving home (almost all motorway - about 35 miles)?

Many thanks

When my Class with the same M112 engine did this it reset with the ignition being cycled off and on.

Any OBD reader should clear the EML in this instance but if the coil is faulty it will return.

If you can get the fault to go away then hopefully gentle acceleration and keeping the load and rpm low should see the car and the good lady return 👍

Or, could you pick-up a replacement ignition coil (ECO, GSF?) and change it at the cars location?

When my Class with the same M112 engine did this it reset with the ignition being cycled off and on.

Any OBD reader should clear the EML in this instance but if the coil is faulty it will return.

If you can get the fault to go away then hopefully gentle acceleration and keeping the load and rpm low should see the car and the good lady return 👍

Or, could you pick-up a replacement ignition coil (ECO, GSF?) and change it at the cars location?
Many thanks. I think relaxing the coil myself is beyond my skillset! Unless it's just a matter of unplugging something easily accessible? Lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is showing how to replace the plugs but the process also shows coil pack removal.

The 3 2 engine in the video is the same M112 as your 2.4

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom