Engine light ON after topping up coolant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ABR18

Car
E220 W212
Since last few days, I was getting the 'Top up coolant message on my E class E220d w212. So yesterday went to the nearest MB dealer and got the pink Antifreeze coolant ... and topped up just below the marker level .. all seemed fine and i even took the car to work (no fault messages).. but at night when I started my car... I am getting the Engine light ON.. I dont have a clue...

Have you rechecked the coolant level? If you have the OM651 ENGINE they are known to have water pump problems/leaks. Its a relatively cheap fix , but like all cooling system problems the longer you ignore it the more expensive any potential repair.
ps are you sure you replaced the coolant reservoir pressure cap correctly after topping up?

Last edited:
Have you rechecked the coolant level? If you have the OM651 ENGINE they are known to have water pump problems/leaks. Its a relatively cheap fix , but like all cooling system problems the longer you ignore it the more expensive any potential repair.
ps are you sure you replaced the coolant reservoir pressure cap correctly after topping up?
I haven't checked it this morning.. which I will be doing in few minutes and updating... I am quite sure I closed the pressure cap right.. I had similar top up warning last year.. took it to the MB dealer .. tjey checked for the leaks and could not find anything...

I just had a look.. no visual signs of leak... still the same level as yesterday.... and.. pressure caps done properly..

On the premise that you did not inadvertently disturb any wiring or hoses.... the issue causing the MIL may be unrelated, i.e. a coincidence? I guess you'll just have to get the fault codes read (and MIL extinguished) using STAR or iCarsoft.

You were saying you have got Pink coolant from MB but have you checked before topping up what was the colour of coolant in your expansion tank? Was it also Pink or maybe Blue? Asking because different coolants shouldn't be mixed.

I
You were saying you have got Pink coolant from MB but have you checked before topping up what was the colour of coolant in your expansion tank? Was it also Pink or maybe Blue? Asking because different coolants shouldn't be mixed.
Think it would be unlikely that mixing different coolant would cause the engine warning lamp to light up.

As Markjay suggested, it is likely a coincidence and unrelated to the top-up of the engine coolant (unless some wiring or hoses were disturbed during the topping up).

You will nly notice the pump leaking when its cold, you will see a slight dripp at the bottom of the pulley, once it warm it wont be visible. Thats how mine was. When it was warm it was dry but when cold you could see it trickling down the body of the pump.

Let us know what you find. :)

I did notice that some cars have pink coolant, while others have blue coolant. The age of the car does not seem to come into it. Anyone knows why some cars have one while others have the other?

Well.. my neighbour ..who is a mechanic.. did a diagnostic check with the scanner.. and no errors or codes showed up on that.. he has reset the whole system now to see if it comes back on again...

I did notice that some cars have pink coolant, while others have blue coolant. The age of the car does not seem to come into it. Anyone knows why some cars have one while others have the other?
The difference is in the anti-corrosion additive necessary for the protection of the cooling system components and if those are made of Aluminum or Steel/Cast Steel. My S212 has blue coolant while Mini R50 has pink.

That’s old school precaution, dosnt apply anymore

Some vehicle manufacturers requires the use of de-ionized water in the cooling system
while Mercedes specifies tap water (to be mixed with). This since the level checker uses conductivity of the water to check
the water level. At least in my C207 (W212 Coupé

Wondering if you have anything to back up that statement?
Loads , where you want to start? The main reason it was good practice to not mix coolant was because it could gel, thicken, I’ve never heard one instance of that happening, remember we know cars joe soap might not, there would be cases of this everywhere everyday, and to add the reason there are O/E spec coolants is metallurgy and corrosive property’s, don’t know how to post links so I guess you’ll have to believe me

Hi

Common issues on the 651 engine as stated water pumps. We used to have to check these at cold using various degrees of pressure. Less pressure usually brought about a leak as high pressures caused it to reseal, also check your egr cooler by pass flap over the rear pass side they have been know to leak

Also the fuel filter housing leaks where it connects to the
Cylinder head they were common and they modified the part with modified torque settings on the bolts

Regards

Some vehicle manufacturers requires the use of de-ionized water in the cooling system
while Mercedes specifies tap water (to be mixed with). This since the level checker uses conductivity of the water to check
the water level. At least in my C207 (W212 Coupé

taken from Mercedes-Benz Coolant Antifreeze Information

Should Tap Water Be Used for Topping Off Mercedes-Benz Coolant

For all practical purposes no. You should never use tap water in your Mercedes coolant system. Tap water can make the cooling system acidic since it contains a variety of unnecessary mineral, iron, chlorins among others that can negatively affect the coolant system. Long term use of tap water in your cooling system can cause water pump and water pump seal damage, coolant leaks and possible catastrophic engine damage. Other issues can develop such as corrosion, clogging and excessive calcification to the inside of the engine, radiator and heater core.

Maintaining Proper Mercedes Coolant Mixing Ratios

Many Mercedes-Benz coolants sold are a concentrated form. This will require you to mix the coolant with deionized water at a 50% coolant and 50% deionized water ratio. If you do not have deionized water available in your area, it is best to source a Mercedes coolant that is already pre-diluted or mixed to the proper 50/50 mixing ratio with deionized water. This will ensure that the proper PH alkalinity and performance of your engines cooling system is not compromised.

I don't doubt his expertise, but just to say that the image on the MB Coolant container clearly shows tap water being added, e.g. this 325.0 coolant:

s-l400.jpg

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the manufacturer knows their stuff best?

I don't doubt his expertise, but just to say that the image on the MB Coolant container clearly shows tap water being added, e.g. this 325.0 coolant:

s-l400.jpg

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the manufacturer knows their stuff best?
not saying that you are wrong, but even if the container says to use tap i would not use it myself.
water will always leave residue, some more and some less depending on the area you leave.
also its a know fact that deionized water on its own it not good, but it should be fine mixed with coolant.

not saying that you are wrong, but even if the container says to use tap i would not use it myself.
water will always leave residue, some more and some less depending on the area you leave.
also its a know fact that deionized water on its own it not good, but it should be fine mixed with coolant.

I spent the last half hour researching this.... as one does
:D

Bizarrely there's no definite answer.

Tap water
Softened water
Demineralised water
Deionised water
Distilled water

For each one you'll find experts that say that you should use it, and experts that say that you shouldn't (I have disregarded forum posts, of which there are many).

If I had to go by 'ask the audience', then I would use Deionised water because it has the highest ratio of approvers-to-disapprovers compared to all other types of water.

If I went by logical analysis then I would go with Softened water, because it seems like the best water for the cooling system. Though you can't buy it at your local petrol station of Halfords.

Reactions: lim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom