Engine management light now under powered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajcreece

Car
e320 cdi
Before I start thanks to anyone with any sort of advice as I'm really stuck as what to do. Car is a 56 plate e320cdi face-lift

Started the other morning went into town and noticed that the car was quite smokey but all seemed fine power was still there just smokies than usual anyways went back out later on and the car went into limp mode for no reason so pulled over turned engine off turned it back on no problems car come out of limp mode 5 minutes after this the engine management light come on! Now the car is underpowered at all times and under hard acceleration after about 60mph will go straight into limp mode.

The only thing I'm able to check myself was the fault codes through the torque pro app which came back as current faults P1408 which I believe is possibly something to do with the egr valve. And P2237 this is under current faults but also underneath that I get P2028 P2079 P2626

I really am at a loose end I don't know whether it's something to do with the egr valve or whether I should go and get the fault codes read by something better than an app on my phone something a bit more in depth. Like I say any but of information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys

Hi well you have found a few fault codes,for me I think your EGR is full of soot this is common on cars just driven a few miles maybe in stop start driving in towns/cities,you say that when you tried to drive fast the light came on at 60 mph,the engine just cannot breathe get it to a indy it will much cheaper than trying yourself to find the problem he will put a star on it and test it,that will show the problem if it is the EGR it is not a big job.

Check the boost/intercooler pipes for splits.

Thanks for the reply guys. I also forgot to add I explained this to a mechanic friend and he seems to think it's the egr valve he pointed me in the direction of buying a unit which plugs in and tells the ecu that the egr is fine the unit is £100 which I don't mind paying but if that's not the problem then I also don't want to buy it for no reason. I'll have a check at all the pipes tonight after I finish work. So what do you think is best? Take it to somewhere that has got a star and they should be able to tell me what the problem is?

Yes, STAR is always the better option but a quick inspection of boost pipes might reveal the problem. I had similar issue with my 270cdi. £50 boost pipe sorted it.

If you find nothing obvious, don't guess or spend out on a cover-up gizmo, get the codes read via STAR

Yeah I'll definitely have a look over the pipes. But I think I now need to find somewhere local that has STAR may aswell get a full diagnosis. Thanks for all the replys will keep you posted

Quick update managed to get my car booked in for a star diagnostics at a place local to me. Going down Thursday noon so will let you know on what they find

Another update took the car out last night on the motorway went to limp mode yet again when I come off the motorway to a set of lights turned the car off then back on to take it out. Fired a big ploom of smoke on startup and to the next set of lights after that whenever I accelerated black smoke everywhere!! But that seems to have sorted not gone into limp mode since and the power is back! also got in the car this morning and the engine management light has gone off still got the fault codes there and also got another now as a pending code. Which was p0299 which when looked up was turbocharger underboost still going for the stars tomorrow so will let you all know what that comes back as

Have a look at my sticky in the engine section.

Sounds like turbo is loosing pressure either from EGR sticky or split hose somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom