Engine management light on ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FUGMASTER

Car
C CLASS 220CDI 2013
I've had the engine management light appear for the last year or so, the car (2013 220 C class) doesn't seem affected and runs normally. Had Merc change the gearbox oil recently, and was told by the not to worry about it....if all this is true, why have it there in the first place, and how do you turn it off (other than having Merc charge me, to do just that)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Ned to get the codes read. You won’t know if it’s not to worry about until then.
(It’s on for a reason)

You'd think the bloke at Merc would have suggested that, Dodipops, but he acted like it was a common fault!! Thanks, I'll get it read, even though she seems to be running ok??

You'd think the bloke at Merc would have suggested that, Dodipops, but he acted like it was a common fault!! Thanks, I'll get it read, even though she seems to be running ok??
It could be any one of many things, some of which won’t be obvious to the driver. Best get it read for sure 👍🏻

I can assure you that having the EML light permanently on is not a common fault.... in spite of what the bloke at MB told you.

And because the EML light may indicate a fault relating to emissions, it is also an MOT failure.

Part of the MOT test is to check that EML comes on with igniting, and then switches off once the engine is running.

So you really want the EML sorted before the next MOT is due.

Yeah, I would have thought so too, but it passed the Mot with the light on!! Definitely going to get this looked at, and I'll report back. Thanks for all the replies

A very common reason for the EML to come on is faulty NOx sensors. These are a known issue by MB and they have been replacing them free of charge or massively discounted. Any code reader will tell you what the problem is.

I‘m surprised that a MB dealership ignored an opportunity to check on a fault and try to sell you a repair.

Do nox sensors have to be "trained" and the ECU "caliabrated"

Regards
David

The ECU software has to be updated when new sensors are fitted.

Thanks

Actually, so was I when I heard what
A very common reason for the EML to come on is faulty NOx sensors. These are a known issue by MB and they have been replacing them free of charge or massively discounted. Any code reader will tell you what the problem is.

I‘m surprised that a MB dealership ignored an opportunity to check on a fault and try to sell you a repair.

A possible scenario is that the MB tech deleted the stored fault code, which in turn extinguished the EML, and then told your wife 'not to worry about it', because this is what they usually do when a stored fault is registered (as opposed to an active fault). I.e., on the premise that this may have been a one-off. But on the way home the fault reappeared and so did the EML? I can't really think of any under scenario where the MB tech will tell you to ignore an existing EML.....

It does sound very odd, that's fir sure?? I'm going to get the car back to them, so they can check it out; strangely enough we had that burnt rubber smell on stopping the car just recently( apparently the DPF burning off the spot, so I read), but the power was definitely down for a while and in starting off she seemed reluctant to change up, so maybe something is amiss??

It does sound very odd, that's fir sure?? I'm going to get the car back to them, so they can check it out; strangely enough we had that burnt rubber smell on stopping the car just recently( apparently the DPF burning off the spot, so I read), but the power was definitely down for a while and in starting off she seemed reluctant to change up, so maybe something is amiss??
When it’s clearing the DPF the ECU tries to generate as much heat as possible, and as such will hold on to lower gears for longer, just like it does adapter a cold start when it’s trying to heat the catalytic converters.

I got them replaced twice around 3 years ago. Is there a way of maybe getting money back or is it too late?

I got them replaced twice around 3 years ago. Is there a way of maybe getting money back or is it too late?
If you’ve had the car from new, the mileage is below 30k and it’s always been serviced by Mercedes, then you could try writing to MB UK. Otherwise I think you’d have more luck on the National Lottery. Sorry.

I'Had Merc change the gearbox oil recently, and was told by the not to worry about it....

There are two scenarios when the EML comes on, light only means something has been detected that doesn't sound right, anything serious and the light comes on along with limp mode to protect the engine. Get it checked out but it will be something simple to fix if not going into limp mode.

If you’ve had the car from new, the mileage is below 30k and it’s always been serviced by Mercedes, then you could try writing to MB UK. Otherwise I think you’d have more luck on the National Lottery. Sorry.

Ok, I bought it used, it has 200,000miles+ and not always serviced at Mercedes. So i guess its a no then😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom