Engine managment light after recall!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kaitlin

Car
Mercedes a180
Hi i’ve got a mercedes a180 2017 my cars just been in for recall today for drivers side airbag. so i’ve gotten into my car and an engine managment light is on! AND the airbag light is also still on so they didn’t even do the job which was meant to be done! The man at mercedes said i’ll have to pay to get the engine light off even though it’s only came on when it’s gone into their care. I’ve had the car for about 4 months and no engine lights have ever been on. Also loads of marks into the interior of my car. What can i do as i clearly shouldn’t have to pay for this when it’s come on after coming from a recall! Thanks

The car was recorded in a bump so the warranty does not cover it

Only if the dealership can show the bump is responsible for the current problems.
What bump was it? Did MB repair after the bump?

Why have you posted the same thread twice in two sections?

Only if the dealership can show the bump is responsible for the current problems.
What bump was it? Did MB repair after the bump?
The bump was about 5 months ago and i’ve had absolutely no issues with it since. my dads a mechanic and he fixed it. The car went in for recall for something to do with the airbags, absolutely nothing to do with the engine. The bloke at mercedes tried to say the engine light was on when we brought it!

cause i posted it in the wrong section, sorry

No need to apologise, was just wondering. Hopefully a moderator will sort it :)

The bump was about 5 months ago and i’ve had absolutely no issues with it since. my dads a mechanic and he fixed it. The car went in for recall for something to do with the airbags, absolutely nothing to do with the engine. The bloke at mercedes tried to say the engine light was on when we brought it!
Unauthorised repairs will not endear you to the dealerships and may well have invalidated the warranty.
What was damaged in the bump? What did your father repair and can he not sort the EML?
The dealership still has to show that either the light was on before the recall work (I guess the dated stored codes would show this) or that the unauthorised repairs have caused it (again stored codes would show this).

You should try a different dealer ...

Unauthorised repairs will not endear you to the dealerships and may well have invalidated the warranty.
What was damaged in the bump? What did your father repair and can he not sort the EML?
The dealership still has to show that either the light was on before the recall work (I guess the dated stored codes would show this) or that the unauthorised repairs have caused it (again stored codes would show this).

Pete, surely if she’s driven the car home and no codes were on it, and they’ve come on later in the day then it could just be a coincidence?

Looking at her other thread it appears to be a faulty temperature sensor code.

It was the passenger rear side which was damaged and my dad fixed that. I realise it’s not but it would have cost me a fortune for mercedes to fix it. And brilliant i’m expecting a phone call from them tomorrow so i’ll mention about proving the date the light came on! My dad is looking at it now he’s plugged it in and can only manage to get the engine light off for a few minutes before it comes back on!

Pete, surely if she’s driven the car home and no codes were on it, and they’ve come on later in the day then it could just be a coincidence?

It was as soon as i picked the car back up from mercedes when the engine light came on, i don’t think it’s a coincidence

Yes, it could be coincidence but a car that young, still under warranty (possibly...) should be looked at to prove the issue?

It was the passenger rear side which was damaged and my dad fixed that. I realise it’s not but it would have cost me a fortune for mercedes to fix it. And brilliant i’m expecting a phone call from them tomorrow so i’ll mention about proving the date the light came on! My dad is looking at it now he’s plugged it in and can only manage to get the engine light off for a few minutes before it comes back on!
Just bodywork damage?
If the EML comes back on the originating fault is still there.

Just bodywork damage?
If the EML comes back on the originating fault is still there.
Yes it only goes off for a minute or so and the engine note changes and it comes back on. Yeah it was just body work. Definitely going to take it to another mercedes as the person i saw was very unhelpful and rude

Yes it only goes off for a minute or so and the engine note changes and it comes back on. Yeah it was just body work. Definitely going to take it to another mercedes as the person i saw was very unhelpful and rude

if it happened as soon as you picked it up then they should definitely sort it/take more responsibility.

I would have refused to take the car until they resolved it

Last edited:
if it happened as soon as you pick it up then they should definitely sort it/take more responsibility.

I would have refused to take the car until they resolved it
I wish i did now.. They took no responsibility whatsoever and say i’ll have to pay for this to be fixed, ridiculous

I wish i did now.. They took no responsibility whatsoever and say i’ll have to pay for this to be fixed, ridiculous

Did you go walk back in straight away, as soon as you turned on the car and saw the light?

Did you go walk back in straight away, as soon as you turned on the car and saw the light?
Yeah i went straight back in and he tried to say it’s because of what happened in the bump and it was on when i brought it this morning, And the airbag light was still on which was what the recall was actually for! He said it’s the mechanics fault who fixed the previous bump. Even though the engine was never damaged in any way, my dad can’t seem to get the light off either

Is your father using STAR/Xentry or some 3rd party code reader?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom