Engine mounts OM642 E350 - cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes... that what it shows in the picture

Hi all,

Called two indies today (TM Motors and Merc Medic), and they’re telling me the same story - they say the book time is 4.5 hours, and that MB would charge for 5.5hr. I’ve wayched plenty of videos and I know that it in no way would take that long... if you have a lift it’s pretty damn easy.

At £90 per hour inc. VAT it’s quite costly at over £400. I’ve already bought the three mounts which cost £150.

Can anyone recommend an indie that can do it in 1-2 hours in either South Wales or around West/South West London... or Guildford/Leatherhead... you get the idea!

Cheers,

Ed

It's not a billion miles from Guildford to Horndean (PCS), or from west London to North Harrow (Wayne Gates)...;)

Yep... I'll give them a shout when they open on Monday :)
You also have Ian at Star Mercedes , Reading and Steve at Avantgarde Mercedes , Clevedon near Bristol

The official time is 3 hours and that is from the official Mercedes labour time software.

Thanks all - gonna go with @BlackC55 @ PCS I believe, just need to figure out a time I'll be in that time of the country while they have some space in their diary!

Will update when it's done - please all try to contain your excitement, thank you

Finally booked in this Thursday at PCS! Excited... sad I know...

Had them done today - thanks so much to Olly @BlackC55 and the folk at PCS, the car has been transformed and it feels 'like new' again. I also didn't realise how much affect it had on throttle response and the noise from the engine - much smoother response, and much quieter! Was really rattle-y before. And of course, the car isn't vibrating like a massive... vibrating thing.

The PCS folk also worked to give me a good deal as a forum member, so highly recommended.

Cheers!

I had them done on my wifes r230 ( at TM as it happens) and it was totally transformative. you dont notice the slow deterioration of the mounts until its really bad so the contrast with the new ones is a revelation

Similar experience here - made a massive difference. 😎

Just had my gearbox and engine mounts replaced at a local garage. No an Indy, but they keep the place clean and they were okay me supplying the Lemforder bits. £210 for labour, which is fair I think for the three.

I was planning on doing these myself and they look easy enough, but I still don't have my drive back due to building works, and a long trip to South of France on the cards I figured it was worth getting some use out of them.

Just taken the E350 for a spin, and they make a massive difference. I can hardly notice the gear change everything is so smooth now. They were picked up at last service as a 'not yet, but in the next year or so', but I'm so glad I've had them done.

Just had my gearbox and engine mounts replaced at a local garage. No an Indy, but they keep the place clean and they were okay me supplying the Lemforder bits. £210 for labour, which is fair I think for the three.

I was planning on doing these myself and they look easy enough, but I still don't have my drive back due to building works, and a long trip to South of France on the cards I figured it was worth getting some use out of them.

Just taken the E350 for a spin, and they make a massive difference. I can hardly notice the gear change everything is so smooth now. They were picked up at last service as a 'not yet, but in the next year or so', but I'm so glad I've had them done.
Great price.

The gearbox and one of the mounts seem to be 'easy', but one is not as easy as you think - one of the mounts needs the exhaust loosened, and will require new bolts/clamp as they are invariably rusted.

Once I looked into it it was quite a hassle without a lift!

Hope your car feels transformed!

Great price.

The gearbox and one of the mounts seem to be 'easy', but one is not as easy as you think - one of the mounts needs the exhaust loosened, and will require new bolts/clamp as they are invariably rusted.

Once I looked into it it was quite a hassle without a lift!

Hope your car feels transformed!
Yeah, the guy hadn't done an E class before (recently?) so I explained the process and we quickly watched a couple of YouTube vids on the on engine mounts and the gearbox mount. We both agreed it was straight forward enough.

When I came to pick it up, he said the gearbox mount and the LHS engine mount was fine, but the driver's side (i think I got that the correct way round) was a PITA compared to the other two. Glad I paid for someone with ramps to do them in the end 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom