Engine mounts OM642 E350 - cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

I think my car needs new engine mounts, due to excessive shake at idle, especially when the car is cold. Worse even now that it's a bit warmer and the car doesn't idle at 850rpm anymore, it's more around 550rpm.

Anyway, I think you can get 2 lemforder mounts plus the gearbox mount for £150-200. But I've read that the labour might be a bit easier on these cars vs the OM651 engine.

Anyone had it done - is it one, two or three hours labour?

Also, did anyone use the mounts from the dealer, do you have a rough price? I'm guessing most dealer parts shops are closed, but it's something to think about with all this free time!

I believe Lemforder are OEM, but I can't find any pictures or sales (eg. MB Newcastle on eBay) of the OEM parts.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi,
I would have thought that the low tickover is your problem.
550rpm seems to be too low to me.

That is what is causing the excessive engine shake.

Open the bonnet Rev the nuts off it and see if the engine jumps around. Videos available on line.

Yeah, I can feel the car shake when I 'blip' it form idle. I think I've found the parts required, via Autodoc, for under £150 for three mounts.

What I'm wondering is how much people have been charged to get the work done on an OM642 engine, preferably a W212?

One or two hours labour? Hopefully not more...

Dead easy to do yourself. I brought a flexible head ratchet spanner and off the top of my head I can't remember the size. Either 14 ,15 ,16 but check later after work. Got mine from auto doctor also. Lemforder. Just need to remove air filter housings and plastic trays

Tried to call the indie I normally used for a quote - went to answer machine, but they did say they were open, so I'll try again later!

Dead easy to do yourself. I brought a flexible head ratchet spanner and off the top of my head I can't remember the size. Either 14 ,15 ,16 but check later after work. Got mine from auto doctor also. Lemforder. Just need to remove air filter housings and plastic trays

I've seen some videos and the access to the mounts from the top is okay, but I don't really want to be jacking the car up on axle stands, getting the jack under the engine to take the weight etc.... especially for 1 or 2 hours labour. Interested in any more info you can give though, please?

Check if they have definitely gone because I tried the foot on brake and rev it in drive to see if the engine lifted which it didn't! So I only changed the transmission mount but the vibration was still there. When I say vibration it was really bad in reverse. so I tried the rev it again and realized I wasn't revving high enough! The engine lifted about 3inch. I changed both sides then. Its really easy just be sure everything is safe when doing the job. I used a good thick piece of wood under the oil sump to lift the engine. Only do one side at a time. Had to unplug 02 sensor iirc to make room to lift engine without breaking the wires clips. Now there is no vibration. Mine went all of a sudden which leads me to think it was a great big unavoidable pot hole I was forced down which I think finished off an already failing mount.

It's a 16mm OR a 17mm. On my 2006 S203 C55 it was 17mm. Not sure when or why it changed :dk: My 2 engine mounts and gearbox mount (Lemforder) came to around £150 IIR

Good vid here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone able to confirm the part numbers for an E350 W212 2009?

When I go to Autodoc, there are three options, as attached. Any chance it's the top two, which are cheaper??!

The part numbers for the three are:

1) A204 240 60 17 (Right)
2) A204 240 58 17 (Left)
3) A204 240 48 17 (Doesn't say)

I'm wondering if 58 replaced 48.

Cheers!

Ed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 00.18.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 00.18.15.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 18
Thank you - unfortunately my VIN doesn't come up there - perhaps it's a U.S. site? They didn't get the OM642 in the E-Class, if so

Last edited:
Thank you - unfortunately my VIN doesn't come up there - perhaps it's a U.S. site? They didn't get the OM642 in the E-Class, if so

I found it guys using the EMC - instead of putting in my VIN, I just followed the menu and went to E-class, W212, 212.025 (my particular revision).

See attached pic, the other numbers are older revisions. I've highlighted the ones, as above, so it is the cheaper two that I highlighted in my post.

Ordered them just now, cheers @alecmascot and all!

(I'll probably be taking it to an indie to fit though...!)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 13.11.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 13.11.14.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom