Engine nightmares!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
I thought I would post up our recent trials with a second hand engine supplied by a customer.

A 211 320CDI I6 engine is the engine we are replacing. The old engine had been through a flood and had bent one or more conrods.

As the car is in pretty good nick the customer decided to replace the engine with a second hand one. I don't supply such parts as I can not rely on their quality.......

I advised he get a complete unit with everything on it. Manifolds, fuel system, water pump etc etc because he would save himself quite a few ££ in labour costs not having to swap it all over.

So the second hand unit turns up. It was just a bare engine with NOTHING on it. Just a head and a block. It even had the rocker cover missing. On closer inspection it seemed like the rocker cover had been smashed off because it looked like that the injectors were seized in. The injector bolt holes and injector shafts were in a right state. :wallbash:

We times the engine up and all markings were spot on. Double checked the engine number for comaptability and all seemed ok.

We spent 3 days swapping this engine over. All new gaskets, seals etc. It took half a day to clean the new unit up. Re-tapped the injector bolt holes, cleaned the injector shafts etc etc.

So the third day the engine was fitted and ready to start. As usual we spin the engine over so it wont fire firstly to make sure it does turn over but.... It turned over very very easily like it had no compression. Did a compression check and sure enough it had none or very little.

I checked the underside of some the pistons for any abnormailties with my bore scope and saw no issues there. It looks like the top of the engine has the issue somewhere. I dont want to go any further in checking what the cause it as that takes time (head off) and that is not up to me.

So I have wasted 3 days of my life on a job. The customer has a bill from me, two engines that don't work properly and my workshop space is filled up with a dead car. Luckily the customer paid for it with a Visa card and is covered.

Who would want to own and run a garage eh? The time wasted and the fact that the customer doesn't have his car back annoys me the most. All because someone doesn't do their job properly.

The spares market in this country needs some serious looking at... they selll any old Sh!t and its us that lose out wasting time trying to fit these parts..

Wouldnt happen in Germany.

The spares market in this country needs some serious looking at... they selll any old Sh!t and its us that lose out wasting time trying to fit these parts..

It just is not right. I feel so sorry for my customer. He is the one loosing out the most.

He is very upset by it all as he loves his car and he really does not need the hassle.

I can deal with the dead car issue.

Sounds like a nightmare, luckily the bloke appears to be protected. A bit off topic how is he covered by his card? Is it because it's a credit card?

I spoke to the suppling parts dealer when the engine was delivered so I could have the chassis number from the car it came out from. He basicly told me to do one after giving me the VIN. Same old BS sprouted by scrap dealers.

Sounds like a nightmare, luckily the bloke appears to be protected. A bit off topic how is he covered by his card? Is it because it's a credit card?

A Visa debit.

Visa insures the transaction I think.

He will be fine financially, he will get his money back... Might be out of pocket whilst they sort it all out.
Always advise buying spares on C Card.

Just need to find a decent engine now..

p.s. Ive bought good engines from Germany and Latvia, never had a problem... Just ensure its to suit a RHD car.

I reckon the only way to spend "good money" on a second hand engine like that is to buy it in a "runner" i.e in a car that is off the road for other reasons e.g. MOT structural failure or crash damage. that way you can a) hear it starting idling and running and b) get an indication from the rest of the car of the age/mileage its done. Everything else is simply Russian roulette.:dk: Must be disappointing all round. :(

That would be ideal but unfortunately the breakers buy all of these...and of course remember the extra labour to remove the engine from a car... its as much as the labour to put it back in..

So not practical in most cases..

Olly if it makes you feel any better we have a Land Rover Disco 3 in as the engine went pop....the 2.7 diesel thrust washers are not upto the job.

Body has to come off the chassis...big big job. Replacement engine turns up and is useless as it also has end float symptoms.

Trying to find a decent 2.7 engine is hard work as they are either on their way out or have already been snapped up.

Groan.

Any decent breaker will run the engine and mark it as soon as the car arrives.
If they can't run it, they will just split the engine for parts.

It is a risky game buying used parts. I was OK with my C240 engine from Dronsfields. But I was doing some butt clenching as I awaited the switch on.

Problem is most breakers remove the engines etc with fire axes and angle grinders. So not much chance of bench testing.

Don't be too romantic about Germany. There are good and bad everywhere.

My experiences there have been OK but I have German colleagues who might have something to say to the contrary.

R

Yes of course you must buy from reputable companies, but overall I have found them to be much better than over here.

A Visa debit.

Visa insures the transaction I think.

I hope not Olli! :eek:

VISA Debit cards provide Zero protection as it's basically like handing Cash over.

VISA Credit Cards are a whole different ball game though as the Card issuer (Credit Lender) is jointly responsible for the satisfactory quality of the goods and to be 'Fit for Purpose'.

It only applies though for transactions over £100 though.

If your client has paid by Debit Card and the supplier has effectively told you to 'do one' over the phone then he's up shyte street I fear! :(

Disco engine change anyone?:wallbash:

Stupid, stupid design fault with these engines:doh:

A class clutch.

B170engineout.jpg

We have had bad experiences with trying to find 271 engines.
We get the custers to source & usually recommend above mentioned breakers, but we have been sent engines claiming to be low mileage from 09 reg cars yet engine parts all labelled with 04 build dates.
We have had engines that we been told still running in a car, but are kept waiting & waiting for it to turn up & then find that it has been put together from lots of spares with new gaskets & fresh sealant, no way it could of been run up & tested and still expected us to fit it & try it.
It's too big a job to take that risk as the customers are the ones left with the bill.

Would never buy a car with a 271 engine due to the amount of dead 271 engined cars sitting in scrap yards everywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom