Engine not accelerating past 40mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oteda

Car
V221
I was driving quite casually for a while in my W221, and then when I finally got some space I decided to accelerate at around the 40 mark and noticed no power was felt, the rev meter almost stayed at 2 revs if not lower and the car slowly accelerated. I even put my foot down to the floor and this made no difference. Tried it in manual, same thing.

Parked up and switched the engine off, after a while I started again and the problem had disappeared. Accelerating as normal. Any idea what it could be? I have a health check booked in next week and will see to it then, at the mo its driving fine.

You've gone into limp mode. Switching the engine off then on again sometime resets the problem. Could be a number of things causing this and a STAR diagnosis will determine what it is.

So thats limp mode, thanks a lot. I did some research on signs and symptoms of a faulty MAF, and it does seem like that is what it is. My car hesitates to accelerate by about 2 seconds, and sometimes I feel a slight chug at 40mph. I have a health check up at Merc on saturday I will look into all of this. Anybody know a good mechanic in London who can just clean it for me would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Must be the cheapest S Class in the world to run

Silly question, but had you activated the speed limiter by mistake.

had a similar problem with my c240 just wouldn't respond. it turned out to be the air mass sensor.

No I hadn't. But I do believe it is the air mass sensor. My car was parked up for a while before I bought it and since the incident I gave it a good blast and its running better. I will look into getting the MAF cleaned and hopefully not replaced. Thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited:
Another vote for the maf sensor, my car wouldn't go above 80, nor accelerate from a standing start very well, cleaned maf and everything back to normal, in fact the idle was smoother after cleaning.

Your best bet is to get it plugged in first. I take it its a diesel? If it is I doubt a MAF fault as they are fairly relaible.

Inlet port shut off is my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom