Engine not as quiet as my C220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dixie6789

Car
C250 AMG Sport
Hi

I have just brought a 10 plate C250 AMG Sport diesel, 5 spd auto, with 28k miles.

Goes like hell, I love it and it returns 58 mpg. Astonishing.

But the engine is quite loud in comparison to my 2006 C220CDI, even with 172K miles on it. The best way to describe it, is a roar, a throaty roar, but noticeably louder than my old oiler C220 Avantegarde.

Are all C250 like this? I not overly bothered, but it seemed strange for a Merc.

thanks Mark

I think this is normal-I've been told and read how this engine (OM651) is louder/more 'gruff' than its predecessor (OM646).

I have c220 version of same engine and I was the same when first got it. Thought there must be issues as it was so much noisier than my previous diesel. After 2 years and 37000 miles, I never notice the noise now and love the way the car drives and goes. If you read any magazine write ups, they all say the same thing, this particular engine is gruff and noisy compared to most of the competition.

Hi

I have just brought a 10 plate C250 AMG Sport diesel, 5 spd auto, with 28k miles.

Goes like hell, I love it and it returns 58 mpg. Astonishing.

But the engine is quite loud in comparison to my 2006 C220CDI, even with 172K miles on it. The best way to describe it, is a roar, a throaty roar, but noticeably louder than my old oiler C220 Avantegarde.

Are all C250 like this? I not overly bothered, but it seemed strange for a Merc.

thanks Mark

Be fair to your new motor as the other one has clearly an extra 144,00miles of carbon in it to keep it quiet also don`t forget engines have to bed in properly...carbon is not always bad...!

I've driven both 220 and 250 versions of the 651 engined C Class and they are both noisier than the older version, particularly when giving it some beans.

Ernie

Both the 220 and 250 diesel I test drove prior to eventually buying a 350 were surprisingly noisy, so it's normal it seems. The 350 is lovely though :)

Scoob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom