Engine occasionally won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Have a problem with my car that appears to be occurring more regularly; it's still only happened about 6 times, but it certainly isn't getting better!

It's only when the engine is hot and has run for over 30 minutes; for the last four times, this has been when I have stopped for fuel after driving 35 miles of motorway driving. It has happened on other occasions when I've stopped somewhere for 10 minutes, again after sustained high speed cruising.

The engine will turn over, but will not fire. If I leave it 4-5 minutes, it will then startup straight away and there'll be no other problems. Bit embarrassing at a busy petrol station :eek:

Any ideas? MAF perhaps?

Could be crankshaft position sensor. They usually tend to play up when hot.

Sounds very much like the CPS as desilva says,, thats the way they can go

Much cheaper from a Bosch service center at£70

Same thing happened to my E320. Turned out to be the OVP relay.

Thanks chaps. Crankshaft Position Sensor ... is that a garage job then?

Need a visit to Ian's to sort the vibration problem out, so if so will do both.

Same thing happened to my E320. Turned out to be the OVP relay.

OVP relay - had a look and the symptoms are cold start problems as well, which mine doesn't have. Thanks though, I didn't know what the hell an OVP relay was until now! :D

Thanks chaps. Crankshaft Position Sensor ... is that a garage job then?

Need a visit to Ian's to sort the vibration problem out, so if so will do both.
You would be welcome any time, as usual :D

Bit late responding to this, but it was the crankshaft position sensor, replaced by Ian at exceedingly reasonable cost. Top job as usual from Ian and the Porsche, was ...err, interesting :)

Now, though, the exhaust is blowing ... Ian, looks like I'll need those catalytic converters after all :(

Bit late responding to this, but it was the crankshaft position sensor, replaced by Ian at exceedingly reasonable cost. Top job as usual from Ian and the Porsche, was ...err, interesting :)

Now, though, the exhaust is blowing ... Ian, looks like I'll need those catalytic converters after all :(

Ian probabaly used a screw in the CPS that was too long and it went down through the block, out of the bottom and into the exhaust pipe:D:D

Andrew, its your lucky day. Changing a cat on a V6 SLK Wednesday so I can use the flanges from that for yours. No need to spend big bucks now :D

Andrew, its your lucky day. Changing a cat on a V6 SLK Wednesday so I can use the flanges from that for yours. No need to spend big bucks now :D

Ian, that's bloody brilliant, thank you :bannana:

Let me know when I should head up; will you need to keep my car for a day or so or is it WYW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom