Engine oil analysis...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...on the US forums the guys often talk about getting their engine oil analysed...

I've read a few of those threads and think they're hilarious - Jeepers, talk about taking life too seriously!

In that particular thread I love the way he's querying the results then casually mentions that he's used various fuel additives. :wallbash:

I wonder how much they're being scammed - apparently if you send samples off to different labs you get different results.

As a student I had a summer job working in an oil analysis laboratory. They didn't test private cars as far I knew. There seems little point as most cars run fine with regular servicing. The bulk of the work was for buses, lorries, engines on oil rigs etc, basically anything where down-time would cost the owner money. There were three basic tests carried out; viscosity, PH level and spectrometer analysis. The tests were repeated at regular intervals and compared to the new oil and previous oil results. I'd be surprised if there was much test lab to test lab variation as they were all done to the relevant standards.

I'd be surprised if there was much test lab to test lab variation as they were all done to the relevant standards.

I guess these are not the $20 tests that get done in the US, though?

Any idea how much your place used to charge for the test & report?

Oil analysis is very common with boat engines where the cost of a rebuild can be tens of thousands. I doubt if there's much point with an auto engine. You can guess that a car engine with 150,000 miles will have worn bearings.
To get accurate results you must know how old the oil is (it can't be new oil)and take the sample with the engine running and up to tempurature. Taking the sample just after shut down is probably safer.
Pointless in a car engine though I would suggest.

Sorry, I never asked, I was just the cheap labour. £150/wk in 1993/4 :)
I'd analyse about 100-200 samples per day, with 4 of use working there (1 university lecturer, 2 full timers and me), the expensive equipment and rent to pay I doubt it was a budget analysis place. I would have thought that the unit cost could have looked more reasonable, but only if you could guarantee 50-100 samples a week, not 1 per year:)

175 a day , 21 an hour ? each analysis takes 3 minutes ?

Probably each analysis paid your weekly wage :eek:

Saying that , i was on about the same at the time , and i thought i was doing well for myself :crazy:

Time and alcohol may have distorted my memory, but the test sequence was roughly:

Log each sample in
Heat samples in an oven
Continue to log samples whilst first batch are warming up
Viscosity test (4 at a time) - 30-60seconds
Clean equipment - 30-60s
Repeat repeat repeat
The other guys simultaneously did the PH and spectrometer testing. The PH testing was quite slow, but that was not done to all samples. The spectrometer test was about 1min per sample.

It was a VERY repetitive job but helped fund my university years and taught me the lesson of having to study hard to avoid doing the same job after university.

It was a VERY repetitive job but helped fund my university years and taught me the lesson of having to study hard to avoid doing the same job after university.

LOL...A painful lesson.

iirc oil tests are about £25 on a one off basis. They send you a sample bottle and pre-addressed envelope, you put the oil in and send it off.

It's mainly used where engines and machinery is using a bypass filter and/or centrifuge. The oil is the only changed on sample analysis, not as any specified interval.

iirc oil tests are about £25 on a one off basis. They send you a sample bottle and pre-addressed envelope, you put the oil in and send it off.

You'd only get a very limited range of tests for that price - there's a bunch of others which can be done and they're charged extra.

Regarding the oil analysis, I have been oil sampling my Mercedes for years with a local company in Swansea, One of the important points is it will tell how healthy the oil is , ie I drive small journeys to work 10mls to and from , It has been noted that the visocity drops off quite badly due to it absorbing petrol because the engine is not getting to a high enough temperature and for long enough. I use the results to monitor the engine metal wear rate and change the oil at 6000mls iwth the filter. I have just started to use this service on our MX5. I only use full synthetic oils in both cars.

When i get chance I will post the results for you to see and judge for yourselves if it is of use. I pay £25 per sample at the moment.

If that's Swansea Tribology Services, that's where I worked. :) Say hello to Mervin when you next speak to him (I guess he's retired now)

It may have been ?
The place I use is called Expertees in Cwmbwrla. I have been using them for industrial gearboxes oil sampling for many years. Morris and Peter.

Keep it clean, keep an eye on the level and change the oil and filter at regular intervals is my motto. I change both oil and filter every 6000 miles in every vehicle I own. I did the oil and filter in my '97 C180 today and boy was that filter mucky, for which there is no excuse as they are so easy to change.

Keep it clean, keep an eye on the level and change the oil and filter at regular intervals is my motto. I change both oil and filter every 6000 miles in every vehicle I own.

The thought is that you don't know if that's too early, too late or just right and what problems may be ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom