engine oil and handbrake clicks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boxvito

Car
Mercedes Vito 108CDI 1999
Hi

What engine oil goes in a Merc Vito 108 1999?

And; My hand brake wasn't holding to well so I adjusted the shoes at the back, to hold better. But I think the handbrake is coming up to high before it holds. I currently have 5 CLICKS, is this the right amount?

Thanks

Is there a cable adjuster? Handbrake? What Handbrake? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

There is a range the Mot testers like to see (or did) but I like my handbrake to start biting around three clicks with five being properly on. Just personal taste though.

Engine oil; I think it has to meet MB 229.3 for yours.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Yes there is a cable adjuster, underneath the vehicle near the back where the cable splits into 2.

Before adjusting the cable under the rear seat which serves to take up cable stretch,make sure the brake shoe adjusters on the rear discs are set properly and haven't seized.

thanks for the replies :D

Here's a couple of charts to help.

Determine which engine type you have. (1st 3 digits of your engine number) Check it against the first chart to see which MB Approval numbers are ok. (Dependent upon with or without DPF - (Diesel Particulate Filter)) Vehicles with DPF need Low Ash Oil.

Use the second chart to see which oils have the relevant MB Approvals - 229.3 etc.
The approval number can be changed by clicking on it.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

Here's a couple of charts to help.

Determine which engine type you have. (1st 3 digits of your engine number) Check it against the first chart to see which MB Approval numbers are ok. (Dependent upon with or without DPF - (Diesel Particulate Filter)) Vehicles with DPF need Low Ash Oil.

Use the second chart to see which oils have the relevant MB Approvals - 229.3 etc.
The approval number can be changed by clicking on it.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

Thats very helpful, thanks very much:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom