Engine oil check

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juttieboy

Car
2007 C180 Kompressor
Hi guys having trouble checking the engine oil level on my C180 which i have recently purchased. I've seen on YouTube the cars computer checks the level for you and I have seen how to access it but it won't work on mine and under bonnet there is a dipstick in but I know it's not suppose to have one so I'm alittle confused any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Hello and welcome , when you say 'it won't work' do you mean you are trying to access the dashboard display to check the oil level and get nothing ?

What actually happens on the screen ?

Hi guys having trouble checking the engine oil level on my C180 which i have recently purchased. I've seen on YouTube the cars computer checks the level for you and I have seen how to access it but it won't work on mine and under bonnet there is a dipstick in but I know it's not suppose to have one so I'm alittle confused any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
B6ACCC1B-6BCE-48F5-B574-FEAEBA6A87AF.jpeg
is it like this (my 2009 CLK200) the yellow one is the dipstick for engine oil . There is no dashboard oil checker on mine

W1ighty. Thats why I aske the OP what he was seeing on the dashboard. Does he mean his car does not have this function or it is available but is broken ? 🤷‍♂️.

W1ighty. Thats why I aske the OP what he was seeing on the dashboard. Does he mean his car does not have this function or it is available but is broken ? 🤷‍♂️.
I took it that he has read that some cars can do the dash oil level thingy , but I don’t believe that his can because my later model car doesn’t ? But who knows :rolleyes:

2007 C class handbook shows checking oil level using the dipstick, which the OP's car has according to his post. No mention of cluster/electronic option

My W204 C180K doesn't have a dash display of oil level and I wouldn't use it if it had. What's wrong with a dipstick that you can trust.

Doubt MB would not provide electronic oil level monitoring and provide a car with no dipstick (OP alludes it shouldnt have one).

OP what makes you think the dipstick setup on your car is not correct?

Owners manuals are very generic and include things that your may well not have been specced for.

Whether you have an engine oil dipstick or not depends on your model - the later ones since 2019 have only the screen monitoring for the driver with no dip-stick. I would expect that the oil pressure warning would show and sound if there was a lack of oil - but who carries around fresh oil in their boot. The other oil levels in the transmission and differential are all closed systems, so they should not consume any oil, so means of checking them either.
I would prefer the old system, as I am sad enough to like checking my oil levels!

The op can’t be too bothered , hasn’t checked the forum since Sunday :rolleyes:

Whether you have an engine oil dipstick or not depends on your model - the later ones since 2019 have only the screen monitoring for the driver with no dip-stick. I would expect that the oil pressure warning would show and sound if there was a lack of oil - but who carries around fresh oil in their boot. The other oil levels in the transmission and differential are all closed systems, so they should not consume any oil, so means of checking them either.
I would prefer the old system, as I am sad enough to like checking my oil levels!
I carry fresh oil in my boot , 1 litre. When you run a 149Kmile M113 V8 AMG it's the normal thing to do. (most burn oil)...unless you want to pay something like £17/litre for a top up at a petrol station ....if they even have the correct oil in stock.

A great number of MB cars have twos dipstick tubes one to check the engine oil and the other to check the transmission fluid level. But rarely do they have an actual dipstick in them , that is considered a workshop tool mainly because of all of the engine variants available.

I have the dashboard level check and dipstick tubes . I would prefer an actual dipstick permanently in the engine but I get along just fine without it .

PS. Waiting for an oil pressure light to come on is not a good idea , particularly if you drive a car with a M113 AMG V8 . You will be waiting a long time as it has no oil pressure warning , lamp or gauge.

On that engine the first hint you get that the oil pressure is low is when the engine goes bang.....no , me neither 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom