Engine oil consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

105mad

Car
2020 E350d Prem Plus Estate
I have a 2020 w213 350d. It uses a lot of engine oil, like 5 litres in 15,000 miles. Just been in for its first service and the dealer tells me this consumption is within acceptable parameters.

Apparently, MB state 1 ltr of oil per 1000 miles is within factory tolerances. I've never heard so much corporate claptrap before.

Any other experiences would be useful to hear about.

It's not claptrap this time. I don't know about your model, but it is acceptable for that consumption of oil on certain engines.
You are using 1lt every 3k miles. It's not a problem. Just keep on top of checking the level.

It's not claptrap this time. I don't know about your model, but it is acceptable for that consumption of oil on certain engines.
You are using 1lt every 3k miles. It's not a problem. Just keep on top of checking the level.
Thanks for your insight. I only question this because the 2 cars I've previously which were both E220d models used now oil at all between services. I do about 40,000 miles/yr on business. I don't fancy putting a litre of oil in every 3000 miles.

A 1 litre per 1000 miles oil consumption would only be acceptable if all engines of that type used that much oil. Only then would I believe it's a normal design parameter.

The manufacturers statement is a standard claptrap get out clause that's been used by most manufacturers for 40 years or more. It depends how hard an engine is worked but the reality for most people is consumption vastly lower than that especially when there are low miles on the engine. I've been fortunate and never had a car that burned oil at any mileage but my sons have had several that drank the stuff and in every case it was a manufacturing fault such as break down of the nikasil type bore plating.

Even using the correct low saps oil, high oil consumption on a diesel doesn't sound like good news for the DPF.

I would not be happy with that amount of oil being used. Are you adding the correct engine oil. Have you looked for possible oil leaks after parking and as said..DPF problems down the road.

mercedes not the only ones.
My wife had a Mini Cooper Clubman, from when we got it, it used oil, was only about 1/4 litre per thousand miles. However at about 115,000 miles it was using a litre a week (about 300 to 400 miles)
It failed its MOT on emissions, we think because the CAT was so contaminated with oil, we put a new one on it, got it through the MOT and sold it.
She now has a 1.5 diesel mini, 3 cylinder but you would never know, in 6,000 miles not used any oil.
Our ML270 uses no oil between changes, our little Toyota Aygo uses about 1/2 litre in about 5,000 miles, my daughters Mini uses about 1/4 Litre per 1000 miles.
Its all a bit odd. I know that the MINI Prince engine is renowned for using oil, but i did not know Mercedes were also in that league,

Bloody hell gang better check your oil, i have an E320 for 7 years never put any oil in other than changing it once a year, good luck.

Same here, never put any in at all between changes, thought that was normal for a modern engine. 1 litre per 3000 miles is a fair amount though, may improve when the engine gets a few more miles on the clock. Nearly said "run in" then but that doesn't happen anymore.

If only topping up once between oil changes then it could be that the level was low after service and so even a small amount of consumption leads to a low oil level.

So you will have the new om656 engine straight six twin turbo diesel
From what I have seen of these engines so far oil consumption has been quite good no reported cases of high oil consumption, a few turbos have been changed for the impeller bearings collapsing causing to much play and possible causing oil usage but if you are unhappy get the dealer to do an oil consumption test to double check if there is an issue

So you will have the new om656 engine straight six twin turbo diesel
From what I have seen of these engines so far oil consumption has been quite good no reported cases of high oil consumption, a few turbos have been changed for the impeller bearings collapsing causing to much play and possible causing oil usage but if you are unhappy get the dealer to do an oil consumption test to double check if there is an issue
It's the V6 350d engine.

A 1 litre per 1000 miles oil consumption would only be acceptable if all engines of that type used that much oil. Only then would I believe it's a normal design parameter.

The manufacturers statement is a standard claptrap get out clause that's been used by most manufacturers for 40 years or more. It depends how hard an engine is worked but the reality for most people is consumption vastly lower than that especially when there are low miles on the engine. I've been fortunate and never had a car that burned oil at any mileage but my sons have had several that drank the stuff and in every case it was a manufacturing fault such as break down of the nikasil type bore plating.

Even using the correct low saps oil, high oil consumption on a diesel doesn't sound like good news for the DPF.
Hi , I believe that engine oil consumption is down to the cars first driver. I worked for a company that purchased 20 06 plate 1.9 VW Passat.

These cars average mileage per annum was 35,000 miles. On my car I ran , yes ran in the car , over 1000 miles by not over revving the engine but not using the car as the typical rep mobile.

The car was serviced to VW recommendations and apart from one time I had to put a litre of oil in the engine.

Good car

A fellow rep who had to drive 100s mile to get home just gave the car pedal to the metal treatment.

The engine burnt so much engine oil that VW took the car back to see what the problem was : first thing VW did was to send the engine oil of for annaylis ; Report come back days oil not to spec , which was true as he purchased oil from Woolworth to keep the engine full of oil.

Woolies £1.50 litre

VW oil £15.00 litre

Crap car

BoyBand , old thread revival , but a similar story. When I had company cars years ago the blokes who opted for the first of the TDi VW Passat's available to us soon realised that paying for the top up oil that was needed between services came out of the 'pence per mile' allowance and finding out just how expensive the correct oil was at a motorway services an 9 at night on the way home from a job just started bunging any old stuff in there .

A few blokes I knew 'acquired' engine oil from the forklift service guy at our biggest customer to top up their engines. God knows what that liquid was , but it made the light on the dash go off . That's all they cared about.

The rules have change a bit these days , but back then company cars were (by and large) no more than just a tool to us.

Well this is a old thread but I would not tolerate a Mercedes using that sort of oil,I would sell the car,none of my cars I have owned with the exception of a mk 1 cortina with a worn engine used that amount of oil and the last 5 have used none between services

All my cars from VW group used ~1lit/800miles of engine oil, Audi was the worst one as it used all fluids at that range but I have never had to top-up engine oil between services in any of my MBs, and I had a few.

My two Fiat Ducato vans that are just coming up to 1 year old and with 40 k on the clocks have both used oil from new. I had hoped that when they had done a few thousand miles they would settle down, even did the first services early. I still have our old 11 plate Ducato with a curtain side body and sleeper cab that has done 300k, been battered all round Europe and has never used more than you would fry an egg in between services. Longer service intervals can't be good for engines, first service at 30k ... :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom