engine oil dipstick bone dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
Just checked the engine oil on the dipstick as I had thought I had the electronic indication appears I don't have this function, upon checking the engine oil levels on the dipstick it is bone dry! :eek:

Whats the difference in litres between min and max

Should I be worried???

clk 200 coupe petrol 57 plate

Should you be worried? Le t me think about that.

Oh yes...of course you should

Should you be worried? Le t me think about that.

Oh yes...of course you should

:( not sure whether I have may caused any lasting damage...

I've only purchased the vehicle recently, looking at the service book its merc have used 5w30 mobil 1 229.5 spec

Computer states 3000 miles to service A

On another post the guys recommended 0w40 as 5w30 consumes oil they weren't wrong!

Go figure....:doh::thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLOccckJ5o

PS. Definite contender...:rolleyes:

Just checked the engine oil on the dipstick as I had thought I had the electronic indication appears I don't have this function, upon checking the engine oil levels on the dipstick it is bone dry! :eek:

Whats the difference in litres between min and max

Should I be worried???

clk 200 coupe petrol 57 plate

Last edited:
haha I thought Adrian was asking a genuine question lol

Adrian is asking a genuine question.
Many years ago i bought a car that had the wrong dipstick fitted.

ok granted, its a long shot but a better result than and engine very low on oil.

Are you sure that its the engine dipstick tube you are " probing"and not an autotransmission fluid dipstick tube? Either way the dipstick may be too short.

Bought the car recently, only checking the oil now?
Pray that you have the wrong dipstick . . and that it is too short, rather than too long.

Don't people actually check cars out before buying them any more?

Dipstickless instructions To check engine oil park car on a level surface, car should be at normal operating temp (been driven for 20 minutes or more), car should be stationary (engine off) for at least 5 minutes. Turn smart key on --move to position 2 or press 'keyless go' start/stop button once. The standard display should appear on the multi-function display. Press arrow up or down buttons on the steering wheel until you get the message 'engine oil level'. It will then display if the level is correct, or if you need to add some.

Surely there is a low oil pressure warning light and if that hasn't been on then there must have been oil circulating and probably no damage was done.

Assuming it's an M271 engine and the same as mine the difference between min and max in the book is 2 litres. That sounds a lot when the total capacity is only 5.5 Litres.

No low oil pressure light on, do not have the electronic oil level option on my vehicle :(, Will check again tomorrow properly on a level surface

looks like the right dipstick, definitely not the trans dipstick as that has the cap

Try checking the electronic level method first. Too much oil can be just as harmful as not enough.

eg. too much oil gets aerated by the crankshaft entraining air into the oil which can again lead to bearing oil starvation.
How does the car's owners handbook say to check oil level!

edit:- Sorry cross posted.

Last edited:
Try checking the electronic level method first. Too much oil can be just as harmful as not enough.

eg. too much oil gets aerated by the crankshaft entraining air into the oil which can again lead to bearing oil starvation.
How does the car's owners handbook say to check oil level!

edit:- Sorry cross posted.

The manual mentions the dipstick and the electronic option too, having gone through the menus there is definitely no option to check electronically, I know what to look out for as the electronic option is on my partners c180 coupe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom