engine oil dipstick bone dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Enjoying the banter above but to spoil the party for a while and being serious, if I got caught out with the above situation, I would drain the engine oil and put in the recommended litres of new oil plus new filter. Then I would check the dip-stick for a reading.

Okay, now back to the banter!

No Joy :(

Attachments

• 20151210_210652.jpg
    20151210_210652.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 44
At the temperature shown in your picture I think you would have to wait 30 mins from turning the engine off to get a reading. (Its 5 mins at normal operating temp).

I don't think you have the feature though, there's no 'Observe waiting period' message where the level would appear.

Why the Dutch 2007 CLK 200 has it and your UK one doesn't is the mystery.

Dont understand why it doesnt have the feature, surprised as you would expect it on a 57 plate

Will check the oil level again tomorrow and topup if necessary

Maybe your car is model year 2008? I have seen comments that it was deleted for 2008 cars.

Maybe your car is model year 2008? I have seen comments that it was deleted for 2008 cars.

Hmm is the electronic system not accurate, would have preferred to have the option as your notified if the oil needs topping up rather having to check manually every so often

From what i've been told they consume oil on 5w30 grade and a better alternative option oil would be 0w40

Hmm is the electronic system not accurate, would have preferred to have the option as your notified if the oil needs topping up rather having to check manually every so often

I don't think the electronic system warns you when the oil is low unless you go into the menu and check it yourself,
as it did not for me when I checked before last service and it said to top up the oil.

I don't think the electronic system warns you when the oil is low unless you go into the menu and check it yourself,
as it did not for me when I checked before last service and it said to top up the oil.

My partners vehicle which is a c180 coupe 53 plate which has the earlier m271 gives you a warning and tells you to top up, last time we had the warning it stated to topup 1 litre

My thoughts would be the following; you're measuring on ground which isn't level, but the oil level is close to low, so no message has shown on the dash as it is technically within tolerance.

Get the car on ground level ground & top up the oil as needed, just go at 100ml at a time, better less than more.

When you get the chance, go & have the oil changes, for piece of mind in knowing what's gone in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My thoughts would be the following; you're measuring on ground which isn't level, but the oil level is close to low, so no message has shown on the dash as it is technically within tolerance.

Get the car on ground level ground & top up the oil as needed, just go at 100ml at a time, better less than more.

When you get the chance, go & have the oil changes, for piece of mind in knowing what's gone in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cheers litcan, will have a proper look tomorrow and report back

About 10 years ago, I went to look at a 2nd hand car. When the garage opened it up, I pulled the dipstick and it was dry. Salesman was very embarrassed, to say the least!

Anyway, he went and got some oil, we started it up, it sounded fine. I decided to buy it. 10 years and 70k miles later, it's now got 170k miles on the clock and still no problems.:bannana:
Yes, it does use oil, and I have to keep an eye on it, but oil consumption is not excessive.

Checking oil

A few of the replies have really made me smile.
I cannot remember the last time I checked oil on my car but always do on my wife's Aygo.
Perhaps I should not rely on the electronics as much as I do and I wonder how warranty would go if damage caused by loss of oil over a period between services?

A few of the replies have really made me smile.
I cannot remember the last time I checked oil on my car but always do on my wife's Aygo.
Perhaps I should not rely on the electronics as much as I do and I wonder how warranty would go if damage caused by loss of oil over a period between services?
I check the oil on my 2007 Vito, that has over 220k on the clock.
:dk: It never seems to use a drop.????
Interestingly my (much) better half drives a Toyota, far lower mileage. I've found that I need to top it up for her about once a month.

Well I checked the oil on a level surface, several hours after I parked up from work, and the oil level was approx 10mm above minimum phew!

Purchased Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic 5W-40 5Ltr for £19.99 from ECP will top it up to max

Well easy does it. Your handbook should tell you the difference between fill and full levels on the dipstick, but stick to instructions exactly as when to measure it. The oil will expand when warm and just after or when the engine is running some of the oil will still be in the engine oil galleries. I would start with a half litre/ measure level/ followed by another half litre then let things settle down/ run into the sump. Don't aim for complete fill right to the full level ---2/3 --to 3/4 of full is fine IMHO. Because the level was on the low side it may mean your car "uses" a bit of oil or has a slight leak somewhere. Just keep an eye on it regularly/weekly for a start till you get a feel for how much its using.

Well easy does it. Your handbook should tell you the difference between fill and full levels on the dipstick, but stick to instructions exactly as when to measure it. The oil will expand when warm and just after or when the engine is running some of the oil will still be in the engine oil galleries. I would start with a half litre/ measure level/ followed by another half litre then let things settle down/ run into the sump. Don't aim for complete fill right to the full level ---2/3 --to 3/4 of full is fine IMHO. Because the level was on the low side it may mean your car "uses" a bit of oil or has a slight leak somewhere. Just keep an eye on it regularly/weekly for a start till you get

Cheers! where the oil is currently on the dipstick I presume it maybe right considering the computer states service A is due in 3000 miles

You would definitely have had a low oil warning if your oil was genuinely low.

I presume that would have been the low oil pressure warning light as unfortunately my vehicle doesn't have the electronic oil indicator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom