Engine oil overfill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterG

Car
1992 300 SL 24V
Hi Guys
Luckily it is not my car but my sister seeing the oil light come on in her Nissan Micra decided to empty 4.5 ltrs into the the little engine.
The car was then driven for about 100 miles and she contacted me as it was driving a bit lumpy.
I immeadiately drained the excess oil to relieve the pressure but still find the car lumpy to drive as if its misfiring. I appears to hesitate then pick up when driving.
Any ideas as to what the problem is or how to cure it much appreciated.
The car is a 94 998cc 16v Twin cam engine

PeterG said:
Hi Guys
Luckily it is not my car but my sister seeing the oil light come on in her Nissan Micra decided to empty 4.5 ltrs into the the little engine.
The car was then driven for about 100 miles and she contacted me as it was driving a bit lumpy.
I immeadiately drained the excess oil to relieve the pressure but still find the car lumpy to drive as if its misfiring. I appears to hesitate then pick up when driving.
Any ideas as to what the problem is or how to cure it much appreciated.
The car is a 94 998cc 16v Twin cam engine

The plugs are probably oiled up.

She is lucky the car didn't hydraulic and cease. :crazy:

Cheers Brian
I had a feeling that was the case the only prob now is getting to them as they deep seated .
P :)

Does she have parking sensors on it? No sorry, must not go on about that....

May also find that some lingering oil contamination in the various breather pipes, depending on whereabout said pipes feed into perhaps throttle body is a bit gunge laden and the odd sensor could have a nice oil coating as well.

I would undo a few clips & explore.

As Satch and Brian have said, probably a good time to go right through and check everything!

As well as checking the plugs and breathers, it would also be a good idea to check the air filter (and air filter housing) as if 4.5 lires of oil had been building up crankcase pressure, it may well have pushed oil through the breather hoses into the airbox! :eek:

Also give the engine/engine bay a good clean down and check for any leaks (from gaskets etc). If the car is driven by an unaware owner, it could have been leaking oil to start with, or may now have popped a gasket or oil seal! ;)

I have no experience with the engine in this Micra, but I would have imagined that a suitable sized plug socket and extension bar would be sufficient to reach the plugs ok. :)

Good Luck,

Will

Thanks guys
I bought a long extention for my socket set and cleaned the plugs up. Then added Redex directly into the carb and this cleared out any crap inside.
Appears to be running smoothly now.
ps she hasn t got parking sensors isnt that what bumpers are for I am told
Pete :bannana:

PeterG said:
Thanks guys
I bought a long extention for my socket set and cleaned the plugs up. Then added Redex directly into the carb and this cleared out any crap inside.
Appears to be running smoothly now.
ps she hasn t got parking sensors isnt that what bumpers are for I am told
Pete :bannana:

Was she lucky or was she lucky???????? :eek: :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom