Engine oil Temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruce Wayne

Car
C63 AMG Estate
Before getting my oil service done by MB the oil temperature read 102 at the highest (even after giving it the beans)

However after the service (beginning of Feb) the car runs at 108 now without even driving a little spirited.

What's everyone else running at ?

Anything I should be concerned about ?

25ad7eb3272b9ad671e0cb4701038454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If thats just normal driving I wouldnt be too worried unless its starts to get higher. Mine is around 102 normal, 118 s+ driving hard and around 125-128 driving hard with paddles

If thats just normal driving I wouldnt be too worried unless its starts to get higher. Mine is around 102 normal, 118 s+ driving hard and around 125-128 driving hard with paddles

Ah ok great . Mine used to run at 102 and is now at 108.

Not the biggest of difference was just curious.

Just need to let the weather get a little better so I can push it a little hard to see how the engine behaves after the service.

Maybe as the weather is cold your coolant thermostat is staying half closed, reducing the flow of coolant through the radiator to avoid overcooling the engine, and that's meant the oil gets a bit hotter than usual?

No idea, just a thought.

Maybe as the weather is cold your coolant thermostat is staying half closed, reducing the flow of coolant through the radiator to avoid overcooling the engine, and that's meant the oil gets a bit hotter than usual?

No idea, just a thought.

Could well be. Wouldn't be surprised with these engines.

Before getting my oil service done by MB the oil temperature read 102 at the highest (even after giving it the beans)

However after the service (beginning of Feb) the car runs at 108 now without even driving a little spirited.

What's everyone else running at ?

Anything I should be concerned about ?

25ad7eb3272b9ad671e0cb4701038454.jpg

I stand to be corrected here, but am led to believe that MB dealerships are using Petronas engine oils now, (sponsor F1), it would be very interesting if your oil was to be swapped out to your original brand of oil, my Merc indie stocks and only uses Mobil 1, wondering what the temp difference will be with your car, if this experiment was carried out.:eek:

I would be surprised if the same grade oil from different manufacturers made a difference.

How long in time or miles does it take to get up to temperature?

10-15 mins ... Letting the car idle for 3-4 mins at start up and drive at 30mph low rpm till temp reaches 80. After that temperature get up to 108 fairly quickly.

I stand to be corrected here, but am led to believe that MB dealerships are using Petronas engine oils now, (sponsor F1), it would be very interesting if your oil was to be swapped out to your original brand of oil, my Merc indie stocks and only uses Mobil 1, wondering what the temp difference will be with your car, if this experiment was carried out.:eek:

Had mine serviced at my local MB dealer only 3 weeks ago and was told Shell Helix was the oil used, so unless this is a very recent change to Petronas I don't think this is the case.

Berks and West London dealers are still using mobil 1 from my conversations this morning.

Slough, beaconsfield and Heathrow told me they use Mobil 1 so some variance between dealers.

Makes you wonder what manufacturers are about.

They put gauges and dials in cars...but don't tell you what you should expect...this is why half the MBs on the road are probably running too cool, because there's nothing in the hand book to tell you what's correct.

Much debate on which oil, and previously concluded that for C63 recommendation of 5w40 from MB was issued and this relates to drain down issue, hence not Mobile1 0w40 as originally recommended. But Mobile1 still recommended for non-63 AMG (hence Ricky still good for you).

MB moved to Petronas (even MB branded oil is Petronas), and I believe there has been a change in the MB oil itself too, my C63 used to run at 102 for oil and it runs higher now 105-108 regularly. Also, notice engine noise difference too. FYI mine has is only touched by Brooklands.

All in all nothing to worry about IMHO.

Kamal

Much debate on which oil, and previously concluded that for C63 recommendation of 5w40 from MB was issued and this relates to drain down issue, hence not Mobile1 0w40 as originally recommended. But Mobile1 still recommended for non-63 AMG (hence Ricky still good for you).

MB moved to Petronas (even MB branded oil is Petronas), and I believe there has been a change in the MB oil itself too, my C63 used to run at 102 for oil and it runs higher now 105-108 regularly. Also, notice engine noise difference too. FYI mine has is only touched by Brooklands.

All in all nothing to worry about IMHO.

Kamal

I'll definitely will keep and ear out to listen and see if there has been a change in the engine sound.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on the drain down issue?

MB dealer just gave mine a B service and used 0w40 oil. All previous services used 5w40.

I'll definitely will keep and ear out to listen and see if there has been a change in the engine sound.

Bruce, I should have been clearer :fail, and should have said I have seen an improvement in engine noise i.e. less noisy on start up and overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom