Engine oil what the difference SAE 5w-30 MB229.51 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc estate

MB Enthusiast
Car
C Class w205 220d AMG Premium line 2016
Engine oil what the difference SAE 5w-30 MB229.51 ? and MB229.51
Ive got a w205 C Class 220d 2016, and i saw someone on here said he was selling the oil as he now has a DPF. I bought some oil from MB newcastle and thats the oil they sold me as right for my car,
So 4 questions please
1/ I just wanted to check that was the right oil for me ? MB 229.51 5W-30 dark grey canister if that makes any difference bar code A000 989 54 04 13 FLEE
2/ I have some oil left over from when i had a E class 320d 2006 MB 229.51 it doesn't say about what ?W-?? in a silver canister bar code A000 989 97 01 AAA4
3/ Whats the difference ? the only thing is the silver one says date 2017 on the can.
4/ Not that iv'e ever had to top up, is the silver one any good to me? or shall i give it away.
Thanks for the education.

Sounds like the same oil to me.
saw someone on here said he was selling the oil as he now has a DPF
Don't understand that, I thought MB 229.51 was for DPF vehicles ?

Your car needs engine oil meeting either MB Spec Sheet 229.51 or 229.52 (the latter is newer/better spec, but both are good).

Thanks for your replies, I thought that MB newcastle would not send me the wrong oil but when i saw a seller on here selling saying it, i thought well you never know.
As for the oil i have both being Mercedes Oil MB 229.51 but having different bar codes and the silver one not having the ?w-?? on it seems a bit strange to say the least.

Thanks for your replies, I thought that MB newcastle would not send me the wrong oil but when i saw a seller on here selling saying it, i thought well you never know.
As for the oil i have both being Mercedes Oil MB 229.51 but having different bar codes and the silver one not having the ?w-?? on it seems a bit strange to say the least.

What's the bar code number for the oil that does show the viscosity figures (e.g. 5w-30)? And does the container have a Mercedes Benz part number (e.g. A 000 843 22 45)? If you Google it, you might find what oil it is.

Both oils have an MB part number on them.

Googled it and Wighty turns up on another web site saying it ok to mix (but i will just keep as spare) and someone else says, just ordering numbers change, still seems strange to change the numbers.

Engine oils like engines are constantly evolving NANOSLIDE®: Mirror-smooth surface for less friction | marsMediaSite it maybe there are minor changes to the additives for the latest engines with the newer oil but will be backward compatible. Or it may be a simple as a change in MB oil manufacturer resulting in a minor code change for MB internal audit monitoring purposes- as a rough rule of thumb for older models I always recommend using the MB oil technology and service intervals extant at the time the engine was made/designed/ bench tested even if there are tempting newer oil technologies available

Last edited:
Googled it and Wighty turns up on another web site saying it ok to mix (but i will just keep as spare) and someone else says, just ordering numbers change, still seems strange to change the numbers.
Not sure if Google and Wighty should be said in the same sentence :rolleyes:

sound the same to me and fine to mix if they are same spec.
The 1, so MB 229.3(1) or MB 229.5(1) denotes it’s for a dpf car. if I recall it’s a lower Sulphur content DPF specific.
but such can be used for a non dpf car also , whereas 229.3 or 229.5 cannot be used in a DPF car.

the 3 is superseded by 5.

This was all covered ca 2004 when DPFs were being introduced.

Thanks for the answers gang, i'm always trying to find something to worry about. So still happy. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom