Engine only runs when glow plug light is on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pbmacd

Car
C250 w202
Car is c250 1995 non turbo

Right here is a strange one. My car wouldn't start the other day and I see air in the diesel lines so I replaced all the pipes and the diesel shut-off o-ring thres now no air in any of the lines and no leaks.

Now for the not starting bit I can go to the car and it will instantly start but soon as the glow plug light goes off (2 seconds or so) the engine dies, If I wait for the light to go off before I crank it will not fire at all. With the glow plug relay disconnected once again it dose not fire at all.

I have thought of bypassing the diesel shut off valve i.e running a live wire to 1 of the 4 wires but dont no which wire any ideas.

Thanks for all your help in advanced
Paul

not sure why its dying just after the glow plug light has gone out.

BUT the car should only ever be started after the glow plug light has come on and then gone out.

I suspect if you've been starting it without waiting one or more glowplugs will be dead and maybe fecked up the relay.

you can test it by following the following howto:

Mercedes Diesel Glow Plug Repair

hope it helps

derek

I wouldn't normally try to start it without waiting for the light to go out. All the heater plugs and the relay are working fine. Its just if the light ain't on it don't fire at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom