engine pre heaters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E320 CDI
I use my E320 CDi to go to work - 3 miles each way daily.
means the car is pretty much running at low temperature most of the time, which can't be good for the engine.
been thinking for about a year about fitting a pre heater :bannana: ...

I plan on keeping the car for about 3 more years.
it would be luxury to get in on cold mornings and be warm - I take the nipper to nursery on my way in, so she would be warm too.:)
great to be able to demist the windows straight away (ish).
got to be better for the engine - and fuel consumption as a bonus.

anybody got one fitted?

kenlowe do an electric one for about £300, but you have to have an input socket fitted into the bumper, and I also know the day will come when I drive off without disconnecting and rip the lead out:eek: .

you can get one that uses the diesel, but think these are much more expensive?

going to be dear if it's an eberspacher..

good stuff though, got an eberspacher blow air heater in my race truck (merc. 814 - fully converted)
works fabulously.

Agree 100%. Eberspacher are expensive but they are extremely well engineered and reliable. And in the unlikely event that they go wrong, spares are easily obtainable.

The Mercedes-Benz of heaters! ;)

You could look for an ex BT transit - they were fitted with a lovely diesel coolant heater system with timer etc - maybe you will find one being broken.

Friend of mine had a Kenlowe fitted to his diesel Espace. He used to run the cable out across the pavement :eek:

3 mile trips are still not going to be good for the car. Unlikely the battery will recharge fully each time, and the exhaust system will never get up to heat so you'll get condensation forming in the rear box (likely to lead to premature rot).

I bought a kenlowe heater for about £110 - admittedly it was in 2000.

I had it fitted in my petrol Volvo when I lived in Norway it really was a godsend. Nice warm airflow as soon as you started the engine, and an easy start as well.

I had it fitted with the power plug situated against the bonnet slam at the front which meant that I had to have the bonnet open to have the cable run in. This gave me a very visible reminder to unplug the cable before driving off.

Prior to selling that car I removed it and subsequently had it fitted to the next one. The fitting is relatively easy so once purchased it can be moved from one car to the next.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom