Engine prob. E350 CDI Avantgarde Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ken last

My car is 30 months old with 25K on the clock. The engine has become very noisy particularly on tick over - makes a roaring noise as though the exhaust is blowing. Garage have had the car on the computer and can find no fault.
Any suggestions please or do I need to find a man with a spanner?
Ken

Bump for our newbie - welcome Ken :thumb:.

I saw this yesterday but couldn't think of a reason, assuming power output and smoke levels are OK.

My best guess is the EGR valve or associated piping.

I think there was a forum member who had a similar problem with his E350 CDI coupe? 2009/10 registration iirc

Won't it be under warranty?

I've just thought, if this car has a DPF fitted it is trying to perform regeneration, hence the roaring noise.

Thanks for your thoughts which I will suggest to my dealer to see what further excuses he can find.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year,

Ken

Yes warranty is valid until April 13, my problem is getting the dealer to recognise the problem. I do wonder if he is trying to put off repairs/replacements until after the warranty expires - am I being too cynical?

I've just thought, if this car has a DPF fitted it is trying to perform regeneration, hence the roaring noise.
Possibly, if there's also a fault present.

When the DPF regen's on my W212 the only indications are that the upshift points rise significantly while the regen is underway (very noticeable as the engine braking effect increases markedly), and if you get out of the car it smells very "hot" around the back. Idle speed is unaffected and there's certainly no roaring noise.

Be interested to hear what the final diagnosis is as I remember the thread Dr-Nab mentioned, but I don't recollect there ever being a firm cause identified.

OK, I've just located the thread I recollected (I'm guessing it's the same one Dr-Nab was thinking of?). Unfortunately, no resolution was posted and the audio clip link seems to be dead :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom