Engine rattle - ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
About two weeks or so ago I had the front crankshaft bearing replaced. Since then it has developed a tappitty / pinking noise when acclerating and putting the engine under load. Car booked in for next Monday. Anyone any ideas? The noise wasn't there before the bearing replacement so is this related? Or just coincidence?

It could be the bearings again. It could also be an injector noise. Post back with the diagnosis.

Had a merc that did this...could find nothing wrong with the engine. Eventually some research suggested engine mounts could do make this noise. Would make sense as the noise on my car was more pronounced the colder it got...in very warm weather, the noise disappeared completely.

Do you mean the MAIN bearing inside the engine ?

God I hope it's not bearings again. I bet so does dealer. Last time the bearing shell cost £19. Total price for job £2800.
Will post back Monday / Tuesday next week when it's been diagnosed. Mechanic was puzzled. Said could be fueling issue but needs to go on star whilst being driven to read all measures.
The job they did was massive. Included dropping sub frame so maybe a vibration or something not fixed tight. But I'm grasping at straws. Hopefully all sorted next week. My worry is it may be something new and I need to pay. Off to France early sept so need to be sure car is ok for journey.
Beginning to wonder is it time to change cars.

I often wonder if its good practise to put new shells on a crankshaft that has not been removed and re-ground, there could be metal particles in the oilways or the crank bearing journals could be scored, worn out of tolerence, oval etc, I would not do it myself having done it in the past and the repair not lasting very long before getting noisy again. sorry to be all doom and gloom

That car is becoming really really unlucky Graham. Sorry to here of your Woes.

If it was an injector, would there not be a weeping of diesel inside the engine bay.

I suspect its the bearings, again.

I often wonder if its good practise to put new shells on a crankshaft that has not been removed and re-ground, there could be metal particles in the oilways or the crank bearing journals could be scored, worn out of tolerence, oval etc, I would not do it myself having done it in the past and the repair not lasting very long before getting noisy again. sorry to be all doom and gloom

Totally agree you should never put new shells on a crank that has not been removed and reground you are just asking for trouble and the problem will reappear fairly quickly for sure. If you are going to the trouble of putting new shells in it's madness not to remove the crank and have it reground I can't believe any reputable garage would ever contemplate putting new shells on what could be a damaged out of spec crank :doh:

If, and I say if, it is the bearings, wouldn't the noise be there when revving in neutral? This is only when accelerating the car "under load". Once you lift off the throttle the noise goes.

If its there when under load then i would say its the bearing sadly.
Thats exactly when they show up any noise. As stated before its madness to just replace a shell without a regrind.

Just a thought - could the bearings go in just 300 miles? I know I should wait until next week when they have it in, but my mind is trying to think of all options.

Just a thought - could the bearings go in just 300 miles? I know I should wait until next week when they have it in, but my mind is trying to think of all options.

They could go in 3 miles or 30 miles if the crank has not been reground and is out of spec.

I didn't think the crank was the issue before, just the bearing tolerance was too much, hence new shells.
I suspect the noise is combustion or fuelling related as it's a lighter tappety/tinkly noise, not a heavy bearing type noise.

I didn't think the crank was the issue before, just the bearing tolerance was too much, hence new shells.
I suspect the noise is combustion or fuelling related as it's a lighter tappety/tinkly noise, not a heavy bearing type noise.

This is what mechanic thought. But needs full diagnostics to ensure. He did also mention using a chassis ear if not this. No idea what that is though but sounded impressive.

Did you get the problem diagnosed ?

After two days in the garage the car is back and no rattling noise. By all accounts (and I apologise for the non tech knowledge ) there was a casing on the steering column that wasn't fitted back properly and engine noise was resonating up the steering column. They refitted it and I can now not hear any rattling. So alls well that ends well. They checked injectors and everything and were getting rather perplexed until they discovered this.
Have to say they, as usual, treated me in an excellent way. Two days also for me to test drive a new 204 facelifted excellence c220 CDi. It drove so much better than the C250 CDi I had last time. I think the250 engine in this model would be a great car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom