Engine rebuilds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagr

Car
1994 E280, 1997 BMW 528I SE
Hi,

My uncle has a 1990 300CE and he has been told he needs a rebuild.
Is there anyone in or around Cheshire that have a good reputation?

Has anyone had a rebuild on a 3 litre straight six? What sort of costs should he expect?

Symptoms:
spark plugs are getting fouled with oil
sounds like it is misfiring
irratic idle

Are there any tests we can do to make sure he needs this.

Thanks

Without looking at the current problems, if it were me, on a 15 year old car I'd be looking at a decent S/H engine instead of a rebuild unless that parts were really cheap and he can get the labour for next to nothing.

I would suggest trying someone like Mercman or Dronsfields for a ball park price on a replacement engine so you can make the best informed decision. Maybe look on eBay etc as well.

Good luck,

Will

Be careful with Dronsfields, they once tried to rip me off, took 3 months to get my money back. If its another engine you want and cost is not really an issue you could try Crewe Engines. For a rebuild give S&R in Formby a call, they may be able to help you.

It's probably just a head gasket, but will only know by taking the head off and having a look. Fixing that is a few hundred pounds. I thought the bottom ends go on for ever.

Are you sure that the plugs are getting fouled with oil and not just wet with fuel?

The only reason I ask, is that the other symptoms you mention, sound like a problem I have had on two 300E's recently and both problems turned out to be the fuel metering head or fuel distributor, depending on what you want to call it. The offending item sits just under the air-cleaner and they get blocked up with crud which causes the the engine to overfuel, mis-fire, stutter etc.

Are you getting any oil fumes out of the exhaust, especially when the car is under load or on a trailing throttle, as this would be the sign of a worn engine.

Also the head gasket is a known weak spot on these engines, to check, any oil in the expansion tank?, and when you start the engine from cold give the top hose from the radiator a squeeze....if its hard, then you've got exhaust gases building up in the system. If its soft and squishy then,your head gasket is unlikely to have blown.

Crewe Engines are a good source for a quality rebuilt engine.

Thanks for replies.

He has had a compression test:
3 cylinders are 150psi
3 are 120psi

What should they be?

If the oil pressure is above 1 when the car is in D, and when you accelerate is on the 3 mark then you will only require a top end rebuild. Should cost you about £600-800ish.

I would rebuild the old unit if you want to keep the vehicle for some time as it saves headache by not buying a replacement engine which may not be that good.

It could just be valve stem oil seals. There was an improved version at around the time your car was made. It could be that you have the old version.
Changing them is a simple job that does not require the head to come off and the parts are next to nothing.
I would do this before anything else. Knackered valve stem oil seals give fouled plugs, high oil consumption and smoking. It always looks worse than it is.
The other thing it could be is worn valve guides. This does require the head to come off so is expensive. It takes at least 200,000 miles to wear the valve guides.
The bottom ends last forever if serviced regularly.
How many miles has the engine done?

The mileage is @140,000 but when I bought it it had no history.

There is no smoking from the engine. It uses no oil.
It will happily sit @130mph all day on a private track of course!!!

The only real problem is it misfires and idles unevenly. It just does not sound like a mercedes should...

Okay, if it's not using any oil then it can't be oil that's fouling the plugs.
So, it's chicken and egg time. You either have the overfuelling problem that Vlad described wetting the plugs and giving no spark or you have a spark problem leading to unburnt fuel on the plugs.
Is it one plug or all plugs?
Have you checked the rotor arm, distributor cap, leads, etc.
Are they the correct plugs and gap?
What's the fuel consumption like?

Have a pressure leak test performed on the engine.

If the air escapes into the manifolds then the problem is valve related, if it escapes into the crankcase then it's rings.

Any competant engine rebuilder should be able to deal with a rebore and head job.

Easiest way is to remove the engine and gearbox, then seperate them.
Crewe Engines will charge around £1,600 +VAT, and then there is the labour. :(
So you're looking at the best part of £3,000.

Last edited:
Engine rebuilds? 22-11-2005 12:17 PM are you for real?
Whoever gave me -ve for the above post, I can only say :-
"Yes I am for real" Do you want to see the bill ?

Having spoken with Patrick many times over the last few months I can vouch for what his car has cost him. More than anyone here would entertain I am sure, taking into consideration its age. But, like me he is a W124 owner and believes in the model. :)

Ian B Walker said:
Having spoken with Patrick many times over the last few months I can vouch for what his car has cost him. More than anyone here would entertain I am sure, taking into consideration its age. But, like me he is a W124 owner and believes in the model. :)

Well i may be a close contender judging the amount of money my 560 SEC is taking! So i know what it will cost to have things done properly. £1600 for the lump sounds about right and by the time you finish it off £3k is not 'unreal'. And at least your engine is practically new!

Reality is that if these cars don't have the money spent they will end up in a breakers in the not so distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom