Engine remapping / chipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
I'm sure this has probably been covered before (feel free to direct me to the right place) but has anyone got any experience of engine upgrades for a 210 E320CDi? I was talking to a Service24 chap yesterday and he was telling me that the engines have loads of spare performance capacity and that the chips / remaps shouldn't cause any problems. Therefore, I'd like to know what people recommend as a way to get some more oomph from my motor! Cheers.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Autocar magazine rates the work these guys do >> http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=26&msid=3

I missed last months issue of Mercedes Enthusiast, but I hear it had a feature on tuning diesel MLs - anyone got a copy they can scan or photocopy for me? Much appreciated.

I would recommend had 3 cars mapped by them, most recently clk 320 cdi which now produces 600nm torque and 270bhp.

tanlod said:
I would recommend had 3 cars mapped by them, most recently clk 320 cdi which now produces 600nm torque and 270bhp.

Nice!! I wouldn't mind a go in that!! Do they always charge the same amount regardless of model??

Might seem a silly question but does it affect warrenty?

Bobby Dazzler said:
Nice!! I wouldn't mind a go in that!! Do they always charge the same amount regardless of model??

Got a discount as I'm an old customer, car is now unbelievably quick.

Drive is much smoother than standard which had some flat spots, no longer the case. Develops more torque than the AMG model.

Cool! This is something I think is certainly worthy of further investigation!

Chipping generally works by firing more fuel into the cyliniders or ensuring better atomisation due to being under higher pressure.
As all diesels run with excess air then this can give significant output rises.

There can be some downsides. The manufacturers warranty will definately be void, the cat may block due to the additional soot blown down the exhaust, the fuel pump may go South somewhat sooner due to running at higher pressure, and the combustion temperatuer may get dangerously close to melt down if the power is used for a long time.

It would be interesting to know the exhaust gas temperatures both before and after a tuning chip has been added.

If you are intending to keep the car for a while then mechanical tuning to provide more air through the engine would be a better place to start the tuning before adding more fuel.
The additional air keeps the engine cool and then the fuel can be increased to bring the exhaust temperature back to the normal range giving more power without risking meltdown.

Well, on my last 5 cars, I have used Speedbuster Tuning Kits from www.speedbuster.de I have one on order for my ML 270CDi Tip, whicjh will take power and torque from 163ps and 400nm to 190ps and 450nm... And tbh on my past 5 cars they have more than lived up to their claims... can't wait for my new one!!!! Costing me £250 cash all in and personal pick up from the uk dealer..

Mike

I had my C270 Superchipped (ECU re-programmed rather than a bolt-on) but didn't like the way it smoked more so had it reverted to original tune.

Haven't had this problem on other non-MB cars I've chipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom