Engine run without oil !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSBB

Car
E320cdi Avantgard Estate
All, its been a long time since Ive been on the forum but I thought you might get some comfort from the build quality of your Mercedes after reading this......
So, basicaly I had an oil and filter service done on my E320 cdi (W210) yr2000 estate prior to a holiday. Drove the car to the airport (15 miles) and went away..came back ten days later and drove home..another 15 miles. Noticed a few oil spots wherever I went but assumed obviously it was someone else. Carried on and done about 100 miles when the missus needed to go to hospital for pre booked appointment (miss it and the next ones in six months). Half way to the hospital, the oil warning light comes on telling me to stop the car immediately. Stupidly, I think....must be a fault, just had a service and we really need to be at the hospital...and carry on for three miles. Arriving at the hospital the missus runs out of the car and I check the oil......nothing..not a drop. The sump is dry and takes six litres which it promptly dumps on the car park. A loose filter cover is retightened and another six litres put in.
Ive done just over a thousand miles since this and the car doesn't use any oil, the turbos not singing and nothings gone pop.
Three miles in traffic with no oil in the sump. I'm impressed.

You may have just caught it in time as it was new oil and your car I think takes 8 litres

You were luck very

I hope nothing happens in the months too come

Keep us posted. And I hope all stays well

Did you have a word with the garage who serviced it?

I did speak to them but they assured me no damage had been cause (as they would) I have to take some of the blame as I continued to drive after the warning message! Im not happy though that I had to pay for the fresh oil though.
Biggest lesson though....I should have changed the oil myself instead of being lazy.

How was it coming out?

You may have removed 50,000 useful miles from the remaining life of your engine :(- or not :) ---- I would reserve judgement till your next oil /filter change and see what comes out- if the engine lasts that long! :dk:

Three miles in traffic with no oil in the sump. I'm impressed.

There would still have been some oil, just not enough to show on the dipstick. Even the residual oil film continues to lubricate.

I once read a report of a British Leyland car having the oil drained, it run 30 miles round a track and the original oil put back in, with no apparent ill effects.

I went into my local MB dealership to order a new filler cap in case the one I had was faulty and they said "Oh you dont need to order it as we have 27 in stock" !!!!!
What would you say that tells you?

They had read your forum posts... ;)

They keep a lot as many people dont put them on correctly and they fall off onto the road..

They dont often go wrong! But it is easy to only have one side latched in and think its done up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom