Engine shock/strut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterG

Car
1992 300 SL 24V
Hi guys
Not sure if I am calling this the right name but on inspection of my engine the other day I noticed a shock absorber type stut located at the front of the engine between the rad which appeared to have a worn mounting where it attaches onto the engine block I will try and get a pic sorted if no one knows what I am on about. The stut is loose as the rubber ring around the bolt has gone/worn out.
Is this a simple/ urgent job to get sorted. The engine sounds fine and is not moving around on its mountings. The only problem I can see is the fact the other end of the stut is attached deeper down hidden behind the rad making access a bit tight.
Any views appreciated
Thanks
Pete

1992 300sl 24 v R129

I think you might find that its a damper for the belt tensioner assembly. I had to have mine replaced recently which cured my strange pinking/diesel noise at pull away. Not a difficult job but a bit fiddly to get to.

Originally posted by Sp!ke
Not a difficult job but a bit fiddly to get to.

You can say that again, very fiddly and the worst bolt is the one on the timing case cover. But yes it does sound like your belt tensioner.

Thanks guys
Does that mean my belts could be a bit loose now??
Pete

No as the tension is applied by the spring. The tension pulley will now be bouncing around a bit though. Replace the bushes.

i have the same problem on my c200 car-1997.

the top bolt of the tensioner shock is easy to remove.

how does one get to the lower one?

I am not sure of your engine configuration but on my 260E circa 1992 it was the devils own job. I only sorted mine out as I had to replace the coolant pump, which entailed removing the steering pump, steering pump bracket, belt tensioner etc. Ask me if I would do it again and the answer would be no. I would have it done by someone else. Having said all that, if you have the time and facilities it may be worth a try (always assuming that you engine is similar to mine).

Hello,

The company I work for manufacture these dampers (Along with steering dampers and gas springs) and you can pull off the appropriate number from the "equipment summary list

Thanks Phil v good site except no damper for my model was listed:mad:
All I really need is a new bush as suggested, so I may have to cannabilise one from a scrappy
Pete:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom