Engine Start Sequence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercman1969

Folks,

I am getting some problems when starting my W163
It turns over and then hunts rapidly sometimes stalling

when it is hunting there is no response from any throttle input and it is almost as if it isnt connected to the engine

I have recently changed the MAF using the standard Bosch type

In a bid to diagnose this problem.....what is the start and sustain sequance?

If it were 30 years ago, I would say the choke or cold start valve was shot at...not being electrically minded has thrown me somewhat

I there anybody around the Aylesbury area that would kindly take a look at it for me

the problem sometimes isnt just at start and i can sit at traffic lights with engine temp normal and it will begin to hunt again....the result is it doesnt pull off very well

thanks

is it missing?

Doues it sound ok?

I had one recently that behaved like this and it had a blocked CAT

It mis fires alot initially
It is the lack of throttle output that baffles me....when you press the pedal nothing happens

it will eventually catch and rev but then when you select drive and go for some gas nothing happens....come off the throttle and it will crawl alaong at idle....eventually back on the throttle and off it goes as normal

Could be the computer has got a bit confused as to where its idle position is. Usual cure is to let it idle until it settles down and to then leave it idling for a good 10min before shutting off.

I had something similar happen when starting a motor from cold (at fast idle) and shutting off quickly, the computer got it into its head that this was full throttle, and so tries to shut down.

Have you tried using a code reader to see if there any any faults logged?

Not as yet
Was hoping to find a member here who knew the engine or model well enough to assist diagnosing it

happy to travel around the area to get it sorted

It needs to go on a Star really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom