Engine swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
Right then, before we start... who wants a brew? :p

As some of you may know, during the heatwave in July/August my headgasket in the estate went due to severe overheating issues. I had to get this engine replaced ASAP so I started searching for a temporary replacement engine.

Finding a 300-24V engine's in decent enough condition was almost impossible. At the last minute I came across a rear end crashed SL300-24 with only 92,142 miles on it. The engine and some other bits was promptly bought for £350.

Then it was a case of finding someone who would swap the engines over before the Official Mercedes Benz Club's W124 Day in Lake District - 1st September.

Thankfully, Ian Walker (TMS) who just adores 300-24V engines said he will do it. I had the engine sent to him so he could check it out. Results were better than expected, the engine was in great condition with only a slight low compression in cylinder 6. A new headgasket and water pump was ordered.

On Wednesday 28th August, I turned up at Ian's workshop with the car on a flatbed in Kirkham late afternoon. After driving all day long at 55mph, I was shattered. We got the car off, onto the ramps in the workshop where Ian confirmed "yeah its had it...right then, lets have a brew!"...

A 9.30am start on Thursday 29th, we started the process of draining all fluids, disconnecting everything in the engine bay like the wiring loom, engine and gearbox mounts and so on...

9656267193_988078cae2.jpg

9659498524_b04ebb3f67.jpg

9659498402_08da3a58d2.jpg

Heres the replacement engine which needed a good clean...

9659498384_a622e97d2a.jpg

While the head was off from the new engine, I started the process of removing the valve collet's, springs and the valves from the cylinder head with Jimmy. After this I started to grind the valves down and get them clean as possible...

9656266579_a9a75d1128.jpg

After spending pretty much the whole day grinding down all 24 valves, I was shattered and a brew was in order. Next job was the valve guides but we left that to a little later as we started to remove the engine and gearbox out of the car...

9659497940_b4cc0b6e1b.jpg

9659497818_04367d42de.jpg

This was pretty hairy than I thought it would be, and after a series of epic cursings, we finally had it out...

9659497690_b361df5a29.jpg

9659497722_da3d20ea7b.jpg

8.30pm.. was time to call it a day as both Ian and I were completely shattered! - PS.. no Hobnobs eaten by IBW :D

Friday 30th with a 9am start, Ian guided me in transferring bits and bobs from the old engine to the new one explaining what some of the components do and their purpose. In the mean time, Jimmy was working on the valve guides on the cylinder head.

9656265847_76907109b2.jpg

9659497226_942186b322.jpg

Once the head was done, the new headgasket was put on and the head torqued down to the block. Then came the process of installing the cams, lobes and chain which Ian and Jimmy did...

9659497062_53dbe4b899.jpg

9656265399_1d99d43c32.jpg

9659496862_cacbcaa9ef.jpg

Old engine almost completely stripped...

9656265015_4a012debce.jpg

New engine getting there...

9656264745_48523d1da3.jpg

After 10 brews, 10 smokes and no hobnobs, IBW enlightens me with a smile... :cool:

9656264561_4e7f285e00.jpg

Towards 8pm, Ian and I had everything transferred from the old engine to the new one, cylinder head all done and it was time to get the gearbox mounted to the new engine. It was either going to go on right the first time, or be a complete pain and take ages!

9659495668_a9a5b623f3.jpg

9659496024_095669a26a.jpg

Gearbox was finally on around 11pm with many brews in between...

9656264073_c7f8a690d2.jpg

9659494982_5fee268bec.jpg

By 2.30am, the gearbox and engine was finally in the car, all bolted up, everything connected including the wiring loom. This gave us more time to do the small bits and bobs on Saturday. At this point, IBW looked like a zombie from Shawn of the Dead and I had a severe migrane. It was wise to call it a night.

Saturday 31st with a 10am start, we finished up connecting the final parts of the wiring loom and topped up the engine and gearbox with all necessary fluids.

A 300-24V engine started without the exhaust sounded like a spitfire engine breathing into life with all its deafening might! After checking everything, IBW was convinced the engine was running right and everything was good. We connected up the exhaust, made some adjustments and finally drove the car off the ramps.

A little drive around the block, everything seemed fine and all was well. A job well done I'd say! All that was left was to get the car washed and cleaned. By 7pm, we were ready to go home and close the workshop.

What was left of the old engine...

9659494628_1624d856c9.jpg

Sunday 1st Sept, I left Kirkham at 8am and headed to Lake Windemere for the W124 Day. Taking it easy at 50mph all the way up, the car drove great and I arrived there at 9.45am...

9656263075_6ceede21dd.jpg

9656262361_d8dc3aba73.jpg

:D

After the show I had finished, I left Lake Windemere with a full tank of petrol and drove home to London non stop at a constant 60mph. The engine performed extremely well, very smooth and now its slowly bedding in.

It was an extremely tiring and tough process which now makes me greatly appreciate what really goes into doing an engine swap or engine change. As easy as it is to just talk about swapping engines or doing conversions, in reality theres a hell of a lot more thats involved.

I have to say a massive thank you to Ian Walker who made this possible, for putting aside his other work just help me with my engine swap, for the hospitality he provided, the knowledge he enlightened me with and to do all this working flat out in just 3 days. He went above and beyond in what was expected off him - sweat and blood (literally!). I salute you mate!

A big thanks to Jimmy and Andy for their help, and it was great to see RedBaron and Trapperjohn too.

PS - IBW currently holds the world record for swearing and amount of brews in one day!!! :thumb:...

No hobnobs were eaten during the making of this engine swap process :rolleyes:

No hobnobs were eaten during the making of this engine swap process :rolleyes:

You had me completely fooled until this. You've made it all up!:D

Ian had a look at my car a while ago, and I really liked the set-up, but it's proving too damn far to get to easily for routine servicing.

As I said Niks that has to be the loveliest (odd word to describe a car but it fits for me) 124 estate I have ever seen. For me it is the right exclusive colour with just the right amount of bodywork fettling. If you are going to have a modded 124 estate this is the right way to do it.

Great write up and pictures. Heres hoping for many year of "togetherness" with your estate.

So no V8 engine after all Nick

Another shot of the W124Day cars at Windermere. Nice to meet you Nik. :thumb:

Last edited:
So no V8 engine after all Nick

No Dash, not in the space of 3 days. Such a conversion would take weeks or months, hence why if you read the beginning of the thread it says "temporary engine" until what I want is all ready to make happen.

Another shot of the W124Day cars at Windermere. Nice to meet you Nik. :thumb:

DRUK.. Great picture!! It was great meeting you too and I have to say your car had the cleanest installs I have ever seen!

DRUK.. Great picture!! It was great meeting you too and I have to say your car had the cleanest installs I have ever seen!

Cheers :thumb: :D

You didn't stay around to see it getting a jumpstart from the hearse then? Flaming faulty battery. What a red face.

Ahh crap I think I just missed that! I saw some something happening down that end of the car park but I thought you already had got it started, so I left to persue my long drive down to London. I hope you got back home safe though!

Nice work all round, love that car.

What V8 you going for, something period or something newer. Would a 210 55 go in?

No Dash, not in the space of 3 days. Such a conversion would take weeks or months, hence why if you read the beginning of the thread it says "temporary engine" until what I want is all ready to make happen.

Just going by what you told me last time we meet Nick,something that your V8 was just being rebuilt or something ;)

Nice work all round, love that car.

What V8 you going for, something period or something newer. Would a 210 55 go in?

I contemplated on a 43/55 M113 engine but after having talked to Olly and a few others, it could possibly work but the biggest issues would have been the gearbox and the electronics. If it were possible, it would have been done by someone out there, somewhere.

Just going by what you told me last time we meet Nick,something that your V8 was just being rebuilt or something ;)

Thats right, I bought a cheap M117 5.0 V8 of a 500 SEL on the fly because I really wanted one. Right now thats been put on hold as its more likely to go into another E7 build instead if we can get the right gearbox to use. Plans change, and so have my idea's on what I want to do with the blue estate.

PS - How's your M117 estate build going?

Last edited:
Thats right, I bought a cheap M117 5.0 V8 of a 500 SEL on the fly because I really wanted one. Right now thats been put on hold as its more likely to go into another E7 build instead if we can get the right gearbox to use. Plans change, and so have my idea's on what I want to do with the blue estate.

May I join the queue to buy your blue E7 should that figure in your plans :thumb:

Last edited:
John, of course you can mate, or we can build you one just like it on any of your S124's :)

Where's the E7 number plate gone from the estate Nik?

We transferred it onto the black 500E as I have got another E7 one coming soon for the estate.

missed this thread completely!

good job, and glad you sorted out the engine probs with this rebuild. i'd forget about treating this as a temporary swap and keep it as is.

You can start from scratch with the 5 litre on another project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom