Engine swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thobg

Car
Clk320 convertible
I have a 2001 clk320 petrol with an auto box was wondering if its more plausible to swap the engine for a lager one just would like any info on this thanks

I have a 2001 clk320 petrol with an auto box was wondering if its more plausible to swap the engine for a lager one just would like any info on this thanks

Welcome

I do not think MB made engines that ran on lager ;)

Unsure what you mean by "more plausible" but as MB supplied 4.3l and 5.5 l V8 engines in the various models a larger engine could be accomodated although there would be a fair amount of work involved.

I presume being a 2001 model you have the C208 version?

Welcome

I do not think MB made engines that ran on lager ;)

Unsure what you mean by "more plausible" but as MB supplied 4.3l and 5.5 l V8 engines in the various models a larger engine could be accomodated although there would be a fair amount of work involved.

I presume being a 2001 model you have the C208 version?

Reactions: 219
slight spelling mistake yes I believe it is a c208 but it seems to have an audible ticking been told it could be the followers but no one seems to confirm it engine runs good

slight spelling mistake yes I believe it is a c208 but it seems to have an audible ticking been told it could be the followers but no one seems to confirm it engine runs good

Perhaps worth an oil change with a flushing agent to see if the noise goes away?
If not then would it not be easier and cheaper to get your engine repaired rather than plan a transplant? All of this assumes that the car is otherwise in good condition as they did have a tendency to rot.

If you go ahead with the engine swap you will need the engine loom, ECU, possibly a compatible gearbox ECU or one reprogrammed , engine mounts, possibly different cooling system, fuel pumps etc. Not trivial but everything is possible with time, patience and money.

Weigh up the cost/effort against just getting another car

Replacing a duff lambda sensor on my CLK320 many years ago gave an instant and substantial MPG improvement along with a very good power increase.

No dash warning lights were on and the car drove well before but the sensor had just died and was picked up as slightly increased emissions at MOT.

The M112 3.2 should be delivering a decent amount of power for a CLK sized car.

C Class just a straight engine swap cost us over £1200 then you have to find a decent engine, then engine oil and g/box oil change cost near £300. Before you jump in is it worth it ?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom