Engine temp CLK 200K seems a bit low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucklesspedestrian

Car
CLK (W209) convertible
Hi

I've noticed that the temp gauge on our newly acquired 2006 CLK 200 rarely seems to venture much above 60 degrees. We've mainly been doing steady A road work at lowish revs and in cool weather so far and the heater seems to work okay. It's just that most other cars I've owned seem show approx 90 degrees and I was wondering if this was maybe a characteristic of this particular engine? (the 181 hp supercharged 1.8)

Thanks in advance

New thermostat is required.

Luckily it is right at the front of the engine at the top, very easily accessible.

Also you need only the thermostat itself, not the entire housing (as is the case with some other engine types).

See also:

where is the thermostat on a c class 180 kompressor 2006

Brilliant, thanks for that, I'll get it sorted. Does anyone know if it's likely to cause any damage to the engine if I continue to drive the car with the problem as described, for a week or so 'till I can get it fixed?

You should be ok if you take it easy. if your stuck in traffic for more than a couple of mins, switch engine off.

When they start overheating you can smell them generally.

You should be ok if you take it easy. if your stuck in traffic for more than a couple of mins, switch engine off.

When they start overheating you can smell them generally.
His thermostat is stuck open not closed so he should be fine in slow traffic when the engine will get to 85-90, he shouldn’t be going too fast to overcool it.

In theory there's a long list of bad things thst happen when you drive the car with a cold engine (or not up to operating temperature), but I say 'in theory' because the consequences will manifest themselves after many thousands of miles, so you can safely drive the car a few more weeks without any noticeable or even measurable side effects (apart from poor mpg).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom