Engine temperature query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I recently had a new thermostat fitted to my V-reg E320 CDi as the engine was running cool.

Now when it has fully warmed up, the gauge is clearly but not excessively above 90 degrees, i.e. there is a clear but small gap between the needle and the 90 degree. Should/could this been an issue?

TIA, David.

I recently had a new thermostat fitted to my V-reg E320 CDi as the engine was running cool.

Now when it has fully warmed up, the gauge is clearly but not excessively above 90 degrees, i.e. there is a clear but small gap between the needle and the 90 degree. Should/could this been an issue?

TIA, David.

that is textbook if you had a 92C temperature gauge fitted - also if you look in MB brochures that gauge reading is replicated

Spot on result as the opening temperature for those stats is 92 degrees.

there is a clear but small gap between the needle and the 90 degree. Should/could this been an issue?

TIA, David.

Wait ! How and what are you reading as 90c ? MB temp gauge don't have a 90c mark. Markings ARE linear. 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. as below photo:

19062010003.jpg

linear Mark above 80 is 100c. This photo is how your normal temp should indicate whether in sub-zero temp or tropical temp, which is around 92 - 95c!

Hope this helps:bannana:

Wait ! How and what are you reading as 90c ? MB temp gauge don't have a 90c mark. Markings ARE linear. 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. as below photo:

19062010003.jpg

linear Mark above 80 is 100c. This photo is how your normal temp should indicate whether in sub-zero temp or tropical temp, which is around 92 - 95c!

Hope this helps:bannana:

All 3 of mine based in the north sit at 80 permanently, that's the 124, 126 and 129.
Either all have a stat problem or its not an issue, I'm confused.

Was going to say it could be your dash gauge, but all 3 cars the same ?? Have u replaced t-stat on any of 'em ? If you haven't I would replace the oldest one of the 3 , and of course while you're at it change coolant also and go from there. The only time that it should go below 92c (maybe down to 85c) is when driving at high speeds in low ambient temp/during winter months. But never 80c!

Last edited:
Was going to say it could be your dash gauge, but all 3 cars the same ?? Have u replaced t-stat on any of 'em ? If you haven't I would replace the oldest one of the 3 , and of course while you're at it change coolant also and go from there. The only time that it should go below 92c (maybe down to 85c) is when driving at high speeds in low ambient temp/during winter months. But never 80c!

All 3 get serviced as per schedule/ASSYST, the SL had a replacement engine last year and coolant levels are constant, I'll get the stats checked at their next services, perhaps the gauges are less reliable than the stats.

The photo above shows exactly where the temp should be on the modern Merc engines - running warm means the engine is more efficient.

Older engines (pre 98) usually run at 80 to 85 deg C.

90 to 100 on your vehicle - nothing wrong.

Hijack

Sorry to hijack the thread, but whilst taking my son to Cadets on Thursday I noticed that the heater would only punp out warm air, and would not get hot even with the dial set at the hottest setting. While out for a run today I see that the temperature guage is not getting much above 60 (40+ mile run).

Guess that the two are related, and that the engine is running cool. It is time to replace the stat?

Cheers,
Ripface.

Yes, replace the stat.

Thanks stwat, I'll replace the stat!

: )

Does it cause issues driving the beast with the temperature not getting up to around 90 degress, or is the only downside my freeeeezing feet!!

Cheers,
Ripface

It coulld cause undue wear on the engine as the oil will not be up to optumum temp either. Also if auto, the oil will also not be up to temp as the oil cooler runs through the radiator. I should think you'll be using more fuel too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom