Engine will not rev over 4000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spud1983

Car
C240 W202
Hi have just got a c240 s reg and I have noticed that when I put my foot down it will not go passed 4000 revs can anyone help ??????

Thanks dannny

Is this when you are at a standstill or driving along ? if your driving its in limp mode and you need to have the codes reset

I understood they are rev limited in neutral also

Yup mine is if in neutral and you stamp on throttle is bounces the RPM's at 4000 if your driving along hard it goes to 6250 rpm then changes gear
:devil:

It's when I'm driving say I'm doing 20 mph and put my foot hard down it will sruggle to get over 4000 revs

Take it to your local indy and get it on a Star machine that will tell you whats wrong and he will clear the fault codes aswell.

If you know a good indie they can reset the codes for about £35-£40 if not then it has to go mercedes and your looking at £70- £100 for the same job unless someone on here is near you and has the star diagnostic tool to reset it for you but is it when you are driving because if it's in limp home mode normally they wont rev much above 2500 rpm so a star diagnostic is your best bet :)
Could also be your EGR valve or MAF sensor needs cleaned the maf is on the air intake theres a block connector thats where the maf is hiding be careful when cleaning cause it breaks very easily *small metal elements inside it*

Last edited:
Will this limp mode affect 230K the same way? When in park mine goes fine up to 4500 and bounce back but it sound OK and revs fine. As soon I drive it acts as it would be in "limp mode". I really dont understand mine car.

Will this limp mode affect 230K the same way? When in park mine goes fine up to 4500 and bounce back but it sound OK and revs fine. As soon I drive it acts as it would be in "limp mode". I really dont understand mine car.

sounds like the same thing to me :) Btw answered your post ;)

Hi,
I don,t think plugging it into STAR will solve your problem, as far as I,m aware simply by turning the ignition on/off will reset the "codes", if it still drives in limp mode after that expect their to be something wrong which the STAR test should point to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom